Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 25, 2024, 11:04:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Sad Announcement :(

Started by Waylon, Jul 26, 2009, 10:17:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Waylon

I'm very sad to report that I believe a long-time member here, "Rakkasan", may have passed away recently. I could be wrong (I hope I'm wrong), but I don't think that's the case.  

Rakkasan was one of the very first, original members of SPARC when it started in 1998 (user #35) and was also a SPARC Board Member at one time.

I don't know how many of you remember Rak, but he was truly a hell of a good guy and a great father. I believe Rakkasan served in Korea as a paratrooper (which is where he took his name from). He was a never-give-up, never-back-down kind of guy. His ex wife caused him untold trouble over the years and did her absolute best to alienate his children from him. Rak perservered, and she was unable to quench his spirit or derail his life.

He had recently re-married and was enjoying life very much with his wife, Zhen.

This was one of Rak's signature lines:

What we do in life ... echoes in eternity

Maximus Decimus Meridius

=============================================
Remember, the longest hour of your life is only 60 minutes long.

If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you've never tried before.

If by my words or deeds I cause my enemy to think me dangerous, I have rendered myself harmless.

Marriage changes passion. Suddenly you're in bed with a relative.

Trust is like smoke, when it is there it can block your vision and it can also disappear in an instant.
The trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

Kitty C.

Oh my God, Waylon............ 

I very vividly remember Rak..........especially his devotion to his son and his determination to have a relationship with him, regardless of the roadblocks his ex put up.  He truly was an inspiration for many here, and to me as well.  I hope (as you do) that he is alive and well, but do you think there is any way to find out for sure?

Handle every stressful situation like a dog........if you can't play with it or eat it, pee on it and walk away.......

Waylon

Quote from: Kitty C. on Jul 26, 2009, 10:41:56 AM
Oh my God, Waylon............ 

I very vividly remember Rak..........especially his devotion to his son and his determination to have a relationship with him, regardless of the roadblocks his ex put up.  He truly was an inspiration for many here, and to me as well.  I hope (as you do) that he is alive and well, but do you think there is any way to find out for sure?

I wish I could say differently, but I'm sorry to say that I'm pretty sure he passed away within the last few months. He had some serious medical issues, and now his phone and email are defunct. I may try to contact his wife, but it's a longshot as I have very little to go on.

Rak helped me personally in several ways, both years and years ago, and also much more recently. I owe him a great deal for everything he did, and that doesn't even begin to cover it.
The trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

lucky

I remember Rak.  It's a very sad day hearing this news.  He was an inspiration to everyone here.
Lucky

Lead your life so you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip. ~  Will Rogers

MixedBag

yes, very sad...since I'm on the east coast, let me know if my travels will take me in his area and I'll knock on a door....