Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 28, 2024, 10:19:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Ex Wife Allows Her Mother To Buy Our 5 Year Old Son A BB Gun...

Started by Fatherforever, Jan 10, 2010, 10:41:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ocean

Call the local police near where child lives (their non emergency number) and ask them if their are any laws in the state, county or town about BB guns. If not, then you are out of luck... If there are...then you have some what of a case if mother is not following the law. Let us know what you find out...

jgaff78

I'm a CASA in my county and one of the major things we look for on home visits is whether there are elements in the home which could be a potential harm to the child. That's everything from medications left in reach of the child to weapons that are not kept locked up. If we, or DCS, saw anything like that we would be required to report it and an investigation would be launched. Odds are that the parents would be made to remedy the conditions or risk having the child removed from their home. Based on the things I was taught in my CASA training, I would assume that this father does have a right to intervene if he truly believes his child's life is in danger.

I was also shot by a BB gun when I was younger. My brother was target shooting with it in the backyard and claims it ricocheted and hit me in the rear. It left a giant welt and bruise and my mom had to inspect it to make sure the BB didn't get lodged into my skin. BB guns are not toys. They are however a good teaching tool to help initiate kids into firearms. My brother and I had both been through a hunter's education class to teach us gun safety and our father had taught us how to shoot a Daisy BB gun and his .22. Even after that training, my brother was still irresponsible enough to "accidentally" shoot me. He was a teen at the time. I can't imagine handing a BB gun to a 5 year old, even with adult supervision.

I would suggest that you keep looking into the laws and maybe even give DCS a call and see what they can tell you about the state laws. Talk to police officers too since they should know the laws as well. Even if the laws say they can have the gun in the home, get it documented that you checked so if something should happen with the gun in the future you can prove that you were concerned and did what you could to protect your son.

Davy

Ok.  Your son has been gifted with a BB gun.  The next opportunity, tell YOUR son to bring HIS  BB gun with him.  Of course the BB gun stays with you (under lock and key).

Alternatively, go to gma's and retrieve your son's BB gun with peace officer stand by if necessary.   

This is a teaching moment !!!