Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 19, 2024, 03:35:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

home visit

Started by meowmixx, Mar 29, 2011, 06:02:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

meowmixx

Hi I have a question my child decided after I was deployed to go live with his biological Dad instead of with his stepdad after I was gone. While there he assaulted his Dad and was arrested. He was placed in foster care before I got back to the US. I'm back and he and I are estranged, do to his disrespectful behavior and stealing. I received a court-order to pay child support and I'm complying. Supposedly my ex got the same notice,but I believe he will try to get out of paying his fair share of child support. I was notified by the social worker that they wanna do home visits with me at my home. I honestly, don't see why I have to? My son chose to leave almost a yr ago and frankly, after the things he has done I think it's for the best. My three other children are happier since they aren't getting bullied by their older brother. Do I have to let them walk thru my home? Or is sitting at the kithcen table to conduct this mtg appropriate? What are they hoping to accomplish by this?

Waylon

I'm not an attorney, but if the child isn't living with you then I fail to see why they should be allowed in. I would definitely contact an attorney for suggestions about how to proceed.

Quote from: meowmixx on Mar 29, 2011, 06:02:34 PM
Hi I have a question my child decided after I was deployed to go live with his biological Dad instead of with his stepdad after I was gone. While there he assaulted his Dad and was arrested. He was placed in foster care before I got back to the US. I'm back and he and I are estranged, do to his disrespectful behavior and stealing. I received a court-order to pay child support and I'm complying. Supposedly my ex got the same notice,but I believe he will try to get out of paying his fair share of child support. I was notified by the social worker that they wanna do home visits with me at my home. I honestly, don't see why I have to? My son chose to leave almost a yr ago and frankly, after the things he has done I think it's for the best. My three other children are happier since they aren't getting bullied by their older brother. Do I have to let them walk thru my home? Or is sitting at the kithcen table to conduct this mtg appropriate? What are they hoping to accomplish by this?
The trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

gemini3

If your child is in foster care, it's part of case plan development to do a family assessment.  The goal of the state is to eventually reintegrate the child with the parents.  If that is not possible, then parental rights are terminated and the child becomes a ward of the state.  But termination of parental rights is not something that is taken lightly.  The state has to show that they have made every effort to reunite the child and the parents, but that cirumstances prevent that from being a possibility.  Legislation sets out what circumstances warrent the termination of parental rights, and the placement of a child in foster care.  So the state is just doing their due diligence when it comes to your son's case. 

What would probably be best would be to talk to your caseworker about your concerns, and how to get your son some treatment.  You don't have to let them walk through your home.  But your unwillingness to do so will be noted in the assessment that goes to the judge.