Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 18, 2024, 07:15:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

FERPA RIGHTS

Started by tmeonmysde, Jul 02, 2011, 10:06:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tmeonmysde

I just wanted to share that for non custodial parents whom have problems finding out their children's progress in school, you may want to look up the FERPA RIGHTS for non custodial parents. Basically, it states that if you are the natural parent, you are paying child support and you do not have any legal court action against you, you may request your child's school records and the schools have to abide by this law. Even if the full custody parent threatens the schools or states doesnt want records to be shared, the schools have to abide by this law because it's a Federal law. I know things can be tough especially if you live out of state and both parties are at odds...this is just one tool to keep in touch with your child to see how they are doing in school.

Link: FERPA Rights (http://deltabravo.net/cgi-bin/search.cgi?Terms=ferpa&Realm=All)

tigger

Yes, and if you search this site you'll find a great letter to use.
The wonderful thing about tiggers is I'm the only one!

bloom6372

Quote from: tigger on Jul 03, 2011, 11:40:01 AM
Yes, and if you search this site you'll find a great letter to use.

The letter is awesome. We've used it with SD's old school, who would never contact DH until he mailed it in :)

Davy

CS is NOT a consideration at least one would hope our country has not sunk that low.

Kitty C.

'Basically, it states that if you are the natural parent, you are paying child support and you do not have any legal court action against you, you may request your child's school records and the schools have to abide by this law.'

What it means, Davy, is that as long as the court has not terminated the NCP's parental rights, the NCP has the legal right to have access to the child's school records.  As long as the court doesn't say a parent canNOT have the school records, the school is required by federal law to provide them.  It does NOT mean that only if the parent is paying support that they are entitled to the records.
Handle every stressful situation like a dog........if you can't play with it or eat it, pee on it and walk away.......

Davy

The OP clearly posted "you are paying child support " in reference to an NCP seeking their child's school records.  To the best of my very long term memory of FERPA is that CS payment or non-payment  is not an issue.

It is a crying shame that federal statues are even required.  It would help immensely if a denied parent would file a money judgement law suit against the school district instead of sending a bami-pamp letter which in essence acknowledges they are agreeing with the state they are second-class parents.

That is the opinion of this so-called CS paying NCP that became a so-called CP.  Wander why my children were ever financially supported by ONLY one parent.

Kitty C.

You can't pick and choose what you want to read, Davy.  The OP did NOT say 'ONLY if you are paying support', he said 'if you are the natural parent, you are paying child support and you do not have any legal court action against you'.  If there's a problem with that, it's that it is paraphrased.  If you accessed the actual wording of the FERPA laws, you'll find this:

§ 99.4 What are the rights of parents?
[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/B]
An educational agency or institution
shall give full rights under the Act to
either parent, unless the agency or institution
has been provided with evidence
that there is a court order, State
statute, or legally binding document
relating to such matters as divorce,
separation, or custody that specifically
revokes these rights.
[/FONT][/FONT]
(Authority: 20 U.S.C. 1232g)

It says nothing about child support........
Handle every stressful situation like a dog........if you can't play with it or eat it, pee on it and walk away.......

Davy

" It says nothing about child support........ " 

Exactly.  We are saying the same.  Please re-read the posts because that is indicative of my posts.   

Sorry Kitty ... you are being silly.  I never implied "ONLY" in relation to FERPA and CS.  Your other attacks are not deserving of a response.