Separated Parenting Access & Resource Center
crazy gamesriddles and jokesfunny picturesdeath psychic!mad triviafunny & odd!pregnancy testshape testwin custodyrecipes

Author Topic: Ex is reopening a closed case. Do they have to serve papers?  (Read 1655 times)


  • New Arrival
  • *
  • Posts: 1
  • Karma: 0
    • View Profile
My sister's ex is reopening a case from 2006, where he was never awarded any CS. They sent paperwork in the mail apparently they've been trying to "locate her". They want her to fill out things about her income, etc... The prior case was closed where her and the other party got a notice stating the DSS closed the case. Because the case was closed by DSS should they serve her and should she acknowledge the receipt of these papers, or send them back? State is California. Thank You.


  • Private Reserve
  • SuperHero
  • ***
  • Posts: 5002
  • Karma: 172
    • View Profile
Re: Ex is reopening a closed case. Do they have to serve papers?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 08, 2012, 06:23:55 AM »
She will get written notice of a court date. If she knows the family court that is dealing with this case, she can call and ask if there have been or is there any court dates coming up. If she remembers or has her case file, many courts are online and she can look it up herself by the number. It will give you basic info, court dates, judges name.

Maybe he filed for some type of govt assistance and the state is looking for both parents to pay them back or he can just be asking for it to be reopened. If the kids are still underage, he can ask for a modification and a reason why things have changed from 2006.

The written notice can be a mailed letter here for child support, so they can use the last know address and it is considered good and they can have a court case.


Copyright © SPARC - A Parenting Advocacy Group
Use of this website does not constitute a client/attorney relationship and this site does not provide legal advice.
If you need legal assistance for divorce, child custody, or child support issues, seek advice from a divorce lawyer.