Separated Parenting Access & Resource Center
crazy gamesriddles and jokesfunny picturesdeath psychic!mad triviafunny & odd!pregnancy testshape testwin custodyrecipes

Author Topic: Last legs of marriage...  (Read 2394 times)


  • New Arrival
  • *
  • Posts: 18
  • Karma: 0
    • View Profile
Last legs of marriage...
« on: Feb 18, 2013, 02:20:43 PM »
My wife desperately wants a divorce, but is afraid to go to the process (losing the car, house, effects on our child, etc...). She's recently categorized our marriage as "abusive," to which I'v objected. I've placed my hands on her one time in the past (squeezed her neck) and she calls our marriage "abusive" because of it. Police were not involved. I'm afraid if she does file divorce, she would try and categorize our marriage as "abusive." Is she right?


  • Private Reserve
  • SuperHero
  • ***
  • Posts: 5065
  • Karma: 172
    • View Profile
Re: Last legs of marriage...
« Reply #1 on: Feb 18, 2013, 03:33:38 PM »
Many people use the "abuse" card to keep children away from the other parent. The courts hear this all the time, every day. She would need to prove abuse. Go see a lawyer, most will see you for free or around $100 for an hour. They will tell you what you need to do now to protect yourself. Take your name off all joint accounts. Watch your savings account, take half and open a new bank account in your name only at a different bank. Make copies of past tax returns and her past checks as proof of what she makes, make copies of past bank account records with deposits. Give these records to a trusted friend/family for now. Do not leave the house, or it will count against you. You can ask the courts now that the child not be removed from the marital home or school district until trial. Many things you can do to protect yourself and your rights as a father.


Copyright © SPARC - A Parenting Advocacy Group
Use of this website does not constitute a client/attorney relationship and this site does not provide legal advice.
If you need legal assistance for divorce, child custody, or child support issues, seek advice from a divorce lawyer.