Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 26, 2024, 02:09:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Private school issue

Started by one note, Oct 25, 2006, 09:15:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

one note

Greeting,

I have joint legal custody of my son. His mom has been putting him in  private school for the last 2 years although the judge told her she would have to foot the bill if I didn't agree with the school and she took it upon herself to sign the contract. Well as you can guess she did her own thing without my consent. Another problem is she can't pay the bill and they refuse to release any report cards to me. I haven't seen a report card for two year.

I'v been trying my best to stay out of court for my son's sake, but it's getting to the point where I see court is coming soon. Now the custody paper states that I'm suppose to have unrestricted access to his medical and school record but the school refuses to give me anything because she didn't pay the bill.

Just to let everyone know where I stand with private school, I have no problem with paying for a private school, but after visiting the school, it just wasn't the best for my son and my goal is to set him up for success. It's a family owned church school. All the children I guess have BA in a particular subject. The daughter teaches most of the subjects and the classes are combine with fourth and sixth graders together. I was not feeling this and give her a couple of schools to consider, but because it was across the street from her job and the fact that they let her pay late; she decided on that. I told her in an email I didn't want my son in that school and I wasn't signing any paperwork to put him in that school.

She is in the navy and I've offered to pay the enrollment and first month fee to another private school but because she's in $1300 debt with them, she can't get any record (so she say). I recently found out this year that my son has no books for school and she has told me she refuses to pay for any school books. I have been getting material from educate and celebrate and taking him to a learning center to get him tested just to  find out what grade level he is at. I really  don't know where to start other than write her letters asking for the record to her. The school doesn't fall under the state laws like public school. Just wondering if anybody has any idea or if they have or know of anyone that could give some type of suggestion. THANKS

ocean

Will they let you go and look at his perm. folder? Have you gone to the top person at this school? She must have gotten some kind of report card from last year if he was allowed to stay for this year, right?
As far as the transfer, no, she is not right. She can go to the new school, sign him up, the NEW SCHOOL sends paperwork to the old school to get all records. (at least that is what happens here....).

It should be intersting what your testing shows...I would get that and go from there. You could also go to court now for "contempt" on the school records and she will be forced to show his progress to the courts..

one note

I called the school and spoke with the administrator and she told me No I couldn't get any paperwork from her. She stated I would have to get it from my son's mother. I asked son's mom and she stated they wouldn't give her copies of anything because she owned them money. Now this year she claim again she owns them $1300 dollar and they won't  even let her see any test from last year. She stated that they wanted to work with her on paying the bill and my son should stay in that school.

The testing went good, and he's on grade level. He has some weak areas and I've brought some books to work with him on to close that gap. You have to understand, this is a small school ran by mother, father, daughter and two sons.  I went to pick up my son a week ago to take him to an appointment and the administrator saw it was me and acted a butt with herself in front of the children.She asked me if mom was letting me pick up my son. I just didn't answer her and call son's mom and told her to fix it.

wysiwyg

I am not sure about this so do not take this as legal advice, but I believe that private schools operate under different policies than public schools, HOWEVER, I do believe they have to conform to DOE regulations.  You might consider calling the dept of education and finding out if they have to comply with your court order that states you are to have unrestricted access to your childs records. I think I would tell the school that you are not responsible fore the tuition adn you have a court document to prove that 1.  You ar enot liable for payment adn 2. that you are to have unrestricted access to your childs records.  

If they fail to allow you access, I think I would start turning over stones until I got to the top adn if that means DOE then, by all means call the DOE.  The one things that school does not want to loose is any means of federal grants or funding to operate it if you start making a bit of noise.  Of course be pleasant and not threatening, be reasonalbe but keep moving up until someone can tell you somthing of value.

In our case the school refused to allow us access to childs re enrollment forms, until they were subpoened and the school district's attorney stated that the forms were something that both parents had equal access to if requested, of course that was public schools tho.

Food for thought....................

one note

Yeah, your right they don't operate under the same policies as public schools. But I'm going to call the DOE tomorrow and find out if they have to honor the court order like public schools.  Thanks

wysiwyg

Let us know how you make out iwht the DOE.

ocean

Is this small school connected to a larger one? (can you go above their heads?). I am thinking like the catholic schools...you could go to the diocesis.
What did the DOE say?

one note

Tried to call DOE today but got a voicemail. Will try Monday, stay tuned.