Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 28, 2024, 06:21:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

why would he ask for an extension?

Started by balleros, Feb 23, 2014, 06:09:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

balleros

we went to court as I filed for a modification of child support to include shared childcare and medical fees. what did bio dad do? request an extension so we now have another court day in late April.
he knew we had a court hearing and I don't understand why he didn't consult with an attorney before that court date. Now his argument is that he needs to consult with an attorney.
I have no clue what he is trying to do. I don't know if he is trying to get his finances ready, or to screw me up or what. I have never changed jobs so I make the same I was making when I filed the initial request in 2011. he works at the same place so he makes the same or slightly more. he could have had some tax issues or some jobs here amd there that he may not report.
so why would he request an extension? do I need to get an attorney now ?

MixedBag

because filing an extension makes you nervous and go through this entire thought process and start doubting yourself.
There are valid reasons and then there are.....

Games.....it's a game.

Good luck.

ocean

Welcome to family court. Most times a judge will allow each party an extension. In my experience nothing gets done in one court date. You can delay for many reasons (sick, out of town, need another month to find lawyer, work schedule-cant take off that particular day). This is very normal in family court so nothing really to worry about.

If you have not done so, make 3 sets of copies of the bills and any receipts that you paid. One packet is for ex, send it from post office registered mail so he has to sign for it. Then go to the usps.com site and print out that he signed for your package. The second copy if for judge with the usps copy that he was given the bills. Third one is for your records.

This way, ex can't say at the next hearing...I have not seen any bills, I need time to look over them and delay again.

Any new bills until April, send him those receipts same way with updated totals. Until a court order, he does not have to pay them so if he sees a lawyer, they will fight on why you need the daycare/medical fees now. Did anything change? (Job hours? health fee increase?) Good luck!  (We are not lawyers on here, but been through the family court system for many years).