Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 29, 2024, 04:45:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

ABC News article in FAVOR of fatherhood!

Started by Kitty C., Jun 11, 2014, 07:11:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kitty C.

Great read!
http://abcnews.go.com/Sponsored/JohnsonandJohnson/writing-societal-stereotypes-daddy-blog-time/story?id=23982607 (http://abcnews.go.com/Sponsored/JohnsonandJohnson/writing-societal-stereotypes-daddy-blog-time/story?id=23982607)
Handle every stressful situation like a dog........if you can't play with it or eat it, pee on it and walk away.......

tigger

I didn't read the whole article but it touched on something that REALLY irks me - commercials and TV shows where the dad is an idiot.  I hate them.  Shows of the 50's and 60's for the most part portrayed dad as a position to be honored and respected.  A position of wisdom and leadership.  Somewhere along the line it shifted.  And it's not just dads, it's parents in general.  A dislike Disney movies too.  Ever noticed that the parents in Disney movies are either non-existent or inept?  Parents are wrong, kids are smart, witty and resourceful and at the end of the movie all is well because the parents (if they existed) come to the realization that their kids were right and they were wrong.  NOT REAL WORLD PEOPLE!

(Rant over.)
The wonderful thing about tiggers is I'm the only one!

Kitty C.

I know.....and I like the fact that the blogger brought that up as an issue that needs to be changed.   :)
Handle every stressful situation like a dog........if you can't play with it or eat it, pee on it and walk away.......

gaeasl73

The one stigma that I truly hate is stated here.  Fathers, in general, are not lazy or inept.  I do know that the other party usually is hounding around, trying to get more money that can be used, not for the child's welfare, but for their own personal gain.  I have seen (and continue to see) both sides of the story and personally it makes me ill just reading all of the horror stories about fathers who literally work themselves to death trying to provide for the child of a mother who just absolutely refuses (or is unable) to be employed, through one fault or another.  As a father of 4, I pay child support for 3 children and have a wonderful family with my 4th.  I work two jobs just to make ends barely meet, don't buy anything new, struggle daily to get ahead, and have to hear on a constant basis from the other parents (custodial and non alike) about how bad it is that the other one isn't working hard enough.  My problem with that is what is all this in-fighting doing to the mental and physical state of the child?  From my standpoint, I will not engage in combat with the other parent in any form, unless it is documented and shown to the child upon the age of reason.  This way, when the child is old enough to understand, they are better informed about the arguments, the struggles, and has a better grasp on the situation in general.  I have yet to find a happy ending where everything just turns up roses because the father is out pounding rocks and he's just whistling away sweet dixie while the mother is doing whatever. 

In the end, it's not the parents who get hurt in all this nonsense, it's the child.  This is, and always will be, about them.  Let's do something to help them, not destroy them

*steps off soapbox and exits stage left

Kitty C.

I'm just glad to see that not only is someone talking about the inequities, but that ABC actually carried it.  All week they have been carrying articles on their website in regards to father and, for the first time, it appears to be an unbiased view.  That's refreshing....

tigger

Probably because of Father's Day.  Be impressed if they do this during other times.

The wonderful thing about tiggers is I'm the only one!