Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 28, 2024, 03:46:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Single father with custody issues

Started by tlbmd, Aug 09, 2014, 10:03:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tlbmd

I currently have 50/50 custody of my 9 year old
School starts Monday, I registered him for the school he attended last year.
I have since learned through text. That my child will be attending a different school.
And there was a supposed conference call between the Guardian Ad, mother's lawyer and judge.
All unbeknownst to me.
What are my rights at this point?
I'm in Georgia. Awaiting contact from my lawyer.

MixedBag

what kind of different school -- like mother's district?  or charter school?  private school? 

What does the decree say about which parent's residence will be used for determining school district?

Did mom move out of the district last year?

ocean

Agree, and if lawyer thinks child should stay in last year school, lawyer may be able to get an emergency  restraining order this week so that the child can not be removed from xx school.

tlbmd

Mother's school- she moved this year while he was in school.
Decree doesn't state but it was agreed with the Guardian Ad that my child would stay in the same school district.
Now, all of a sudden it has changed.

tlbmd

ocean

Did you call the law guardian? What did say?
Sounds like mom pulled a fast one as either of you can enroll child. Go to her old school and get copies of when child was withdrawn, then you can see when mom did this.
If school starts in 2 days, going to have to move fast one Monday to get emergency hearing for school district. You can file yourself monday morning for ex parte hearing to have child return to old school. Then if judge grants it , you can use that paperwork to enroll child back into your school.

tlbmd

Thanks for the replies.
Just needed to know my options

MixedBag

Agree with Ocean -- and keep GAL in the loop totally.  You need that person on YOUR side for this issue.

tlbmd

Well, that's the problem.
The GAL has supposed teamed with the mother of my child and her lawyer to allow this to happen. When I called the GAL she already knew about it and was perfectly fine with it.
The problem isn't the school it's the fact that this decision was made without me or my lawyer.

ocean

Did GAL give you a reason?
GAL's usually play both parents and changing schools did not require a court order or the GAL to say yes. Either parent can discharge a child from school and enroll them somewhere else with joint custody.