Separated Parenting Access & Resource Center
crazy gamesriddles and jokesfunny picturesdeath psychic!mad triviafunny & odd!pregnancy testshape testwin custodyrecipes

Author Topic: Emancipated 18 year old not living with CP  (Read 2517 times)


  • New Arrival
  • *
  • Posts: 1
  • Karma: 0
    • View Profile
Emancipated 18 year old not living with CP
« on: Nov 01, 2014, 05:17:44 AM »
Ok, a few years ago I was divorced in Colorado. Have an 18 year old daughter living in Missouri. Last year she dropped out of High School against my wishes and moved in with her boyfriend. I was aware if the situation but have no real contact. Despite my misgivings I continued to pay her mother without challenging it. Now mother moving back to Colorado. daughter staying in Missouri with BF and mother acknowledges she is self supporting. Am I correct in assuming the mother is no longer due support? Seems to me all parties acknowledge she is emancipated.


  • Global Moderator
  • SuperHero
  • *****
  • Posts: 3048
  • Karma: 155
  • That's Me...MixedBag
    • View Profile
    • http://www.doilyboutique.com
Re: Emancipated 18 year old not living with CP
« Reply #1 on: Nov 01, 2014, 06:03:25 AM »
each state is slightly different -- you'll have to check the state's code that has jurisdiction.  (Not sure if that's Colorado or Missouri)   

And if it seems like you fit the criteria -- file away and see if the courts agree.


  • Private Reserve
  • SuperHero
  • ***
  • Posts: 5039
  • Karma: 172
    • View Profile
Re: Emancipated 18 year old not living with CP
« Reply #2 on: Nov 01, 2014, 09:07:40 AM »
Are you paying the mother directly or through the state?
Pull out your papers and find that section about emancipation. Some states are 18, others are 21, others until they graduate college. Since daughter is living separately from mom, mom should not be getting any money.

If you pay her directly, stop and file a motion to close case so she can not come after you later.
If you pay through the state, file a motion to stop child support as child is emancipated and not living with mother. There is a small chance depending on your state that you will be forced to send child the money instead (if she goes back to HS).

You have to file where your last set of court papers were ordered. Many courts have the papers online.


Copyright © SPARC - A Parenting Advocacy Group
Use of this website does not constitute a client/attorney relationship and this site does not provide legal advice.
If you need legal assistance for divorce, child custody, or child support issues, seek advice from a divorce lawyer.