Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 28, 2024, 08:08:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

50/50 Example Monthly Custody Schedule 8yo/3rd grader

Started by PorcupineToyota, Jul 26, 2017, 08:02:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PorcupineToyota

I'm hoping for a long thread of calendar images with a short bit of pros/cons about each model for an 8yo 3rd grader. Trying to plan how to both share 50/50, handle homework including long term projects, and get quality time. I'm fairly visual so pictures help :-)

eta: We live near each other and the school. We do the drop off and pick up - no bus. I am the one who has monitored and followed HW so far and that is not likely to change.

It's a little maddening to try and imagine what will work the best  :o  Those of you who are heading into 4th - 7th, your recent experience is highly valued. Love to learn from those who have "been there," especially when memory is fresh.

Thank you in advance!
PT

ocean

Are you both in same school district where the child can ride bus home to each of you (usually districts will allow two buses in custody situations especially if you get it written in a court order)?

Few different options and really depends on the child. You can do one week on, one week off (if child needs to see other parent, can have a midweek dinner visit on off week).
Some people do 3/4/4/3 or variations. It really is up to your work schedules, siblings at each house, and how the child reacts. You can try something now and tweek it as you go through the process.

Homework- Have child leave school folder in bag for each parent to see notices without taking them out. Or ask teacher for two copies to put in his mailbox and you can take your own. Have the school office have both addresses and they will send anything form them to both houses. Keep teacher in loop and have conferences together.

Look up 50/50 custody on here and you should get a few old posts about some of the ways people here have done it in the past. It is great you are working together , Good luck!

PorcupineToyota

Quote from: ocean on Jul 26, 2017, 08:12:46 AM
Are you both in same school district where the child can ride bus home to each of you (usually districts will allow two buses in custody situations especially if you get it written in a court order)?

No bus needed. We live near each other.

"Few different options and really depends on the child. You can do one week on, one week off (if child needs to see other parent, can have a midweek dinner visit on off week).
Some people do 3/4/4/3 or variations. It really is up to your work schedules, siblings at each house, and how the child reacts. You can try something now and tweek it as you go through the process."

Have been trying this for the past year. Something is always getting missed though. This summer, it's the camp t-shirt. :-)
Current schedule:
Me Sat PM - Tues AM,
Ex Tues PM - Fri AM

Alternate Friday PM - flexible Saturday transfer time.

This seems bad for HW continuity but I'm having trouble figuring out how else to do it. No HW on weekends at this school

"Homework- Have child leave school folder in bag for each parent to see notices without taking them out. Or ask teacher for two copies to put in his mailbox and you can take your own. Have the school office have both addresses and they will send anything form them to both houses. Keep teacher in loop and have conferences together."

We do most of this. But only i look at or follow most of the school stuff. Frankly it's easier than trying to explain it to another person :-)

Look up 50/50 custody on here and you should get a few old posts about some of the ways people here have done it in the past. It is great you are working together , Good luck!

Thanks for that tip - I've been searching "custody schedules" but not 50/50. Will keep looking.
Appreciate your feedback!
PT

ocean

Google:  parenting plan 50/50   few of them have picture calendars for you or explain how to do it
Also, you can give extra time in summer or school vacations if hw/school is an issue...longer weekends but then give extra in summer. 

OneMan

Quote from: PorcupineToyota on Jul 26, 2017, 08:02:51 AM
I'm hoping for a long thread of calendar images with a short bit of pros/cons about each model for an 8yo 3rd grader. Trying to plan how to both share 50/50, handle homework including long term projects, and get quality time. I'm fairly visual so pictures help :-)

eta: We live near each other and the school. We do the drop off and pick up - no bus. I am the one who has monitored and followed HW so far and that is not likely to change.

It's a little maddening to try and imagine what will work the best  :o  Those of you who are heading into 4th - 7th, your recent experience is highly valued. Love to learn from those who have "been there," especially when memory is fresh.

My experience was that 50/50 at that age worked the best. The question is how the 50/50 actually pans out. Is it just nights? Or more days with one, more nights with the other. The one with the more days does more of the homework.

Thank you in advance!
PT