Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 28, 2024, 04:11:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

AT WORK DURING SCHEDULED VISITS

Started by lovemygirl, Jan 25, 2004, 10:31:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lovemygirl

My ex works during the sunday of his scheduled visits with our daughter. It upsets me be becuase he wont tell me his work schedule so that I can work around this issue. She spends time with his wife at home, it wouldn't upset me except for the fact sometimes my daugher just wants to come home and he tells me that his wife has a right to see her and the fact that it's she not a paid babysitter make it so I don't have right of first refusal. (in our decree both parents get it) I told him I don't mind our daughter being there with his new wife but if she wants to come home she should be able to. I think it's silly because those visits are there for him to spend time with her.  He also refuses to give me a work number or the location of the work place when I openly told him where I work and the number. Even if the law says that I don't have to I'd rather he have it incase of an emergency...

nosonew

Okay, this reply is from a sm, so bear with me.

As a sm, I love my ss with all of my heart.  Having the mother of the child tell me I can't spend one on one time bothers me greatly.  I need to build a relationship too, and when dad is away, I am NOT a babysitter, (paid or not), I am the PARENT in my home.  Albeit a step, and I truly hate that word, and in our home, it is Mom #1 (you) and the Other Mom, (ME).  

Dealing with ex's, steps, etc., is difficult enough for the parent, so you can imagine the toll it takes on the child.  If in any way, consciously or unconsciously you are telling the child she should come home if dad is away, you are putting her under alot of stress.  That is not fair to the child at all.  

I suggest you pick your battles more carefully.  This one is a loser, for everyone.  Exactly what harm is there for her to spend time with sm one on one?  You afraid she will like her more?  You afraid your daughter may come to love her?  Just remember this, YOU are her mother, always have been, always will be.  And don't feel insecure about being her mom, or you will always second guess yourself and what your daughter is feeling.  I totally believe that children should get as much love as possible.  And your relationship with the ex and stepmom could be greatly improved if you would just agree to disagree and perhaps even go so far as to ENCOURAGE the relationship to grow between sm and daughter.  Believe me, it will be to your benefit.  You see, my ss got sick of his mother interfering, and now he lives with dad.

I'm sure I have left out some important points, but I think you get the message.

nosonew

How about decreasing his child support obligations so he wouldn't HAVE to work on Sundays?  Now that one is a winner!  Problem solved!

Indigo Mom

I like your first post, but the 2nd one i have to disagree with.  Not everyone works Monday Through Friday, 9-5.  

To assume he's working Sunday because his child support is too high...well, it's not right, considering she didn't mention CS at all in her post.  

nosonew

that I said that out of sarcasm!  And Lordy do I know about work schedules! My hubby is on call 24/7, and I work 5a-6p 3xweekly. But, there are those out there complaining dad doesn't spend enough time with the kids, or isn't there because of working, yet dad has to work to pay the c.s., it was just a suggestion! Chill! Hee Hee

lovemygirl

Let me iron a few things out. First of all I understand he works on Sunday's as I work some weekends too (monthly).  I just want to work something out with him so that he is home when she is there to visit him. What is sad is I actually like his wife better than him. So no I don't hate her nor am I afraid of my daughters relationship with her. I have told him countless times that he doesn't have to pay CS anymore. I wont stop visitations and I will sign what ever contract to hold me accoutable to that statement. I'm not sure why someone would have their child come to visit and then they aren't there. My daughter doesn't know how I feel I don't tell her about her dad or bash him in anyway.

I'm not asking for a bashing I'm asking if a non-custodial parent should be having a child visit when they aren't there and wont ever be there (no light at the end of tunnel) Is that really fair to the child? I don't think so.  thoughts?

Indigo Mom

-----I'm not asking for a bashing -----

I wasn't bashing you.

But, here's what "I" think.  You said this...

-----What is sad is I actually like his wife better than him. -----

This, my dear, is your key to a better, more relaxed life.  I have a comommy for my oldest son.  What's funny, is she's not even with the father anymore.  When she left him because of his drinking/partying, the father bailed from my son...but she didn't.  Can you believe that?  She's still around!!!!!

I have to say...a comommy can be WONDERFUL!!!  You say you like her, so let the relationship bloom between your child and her.  (and YOUR relationship with her)  You never know when you're going to need her...or she's going to need you.

I understand why you'd want your child to come home if she's asking to...but...I also understand she has another mommytype to take care of her.  

You should take those Sundays and ENJOY.  Relax, enjoy the peace and quiet...you're a parent...we don't get breaks too often, so if the stepmother is willing to spend that day with her...take it!!!

-----I'm not sure why someone would have their child come to visit and then they aren't there. -----

I don't either.  We'll never understand why weirdos do what they do.  Just roll with it.  She has two people who love her, take care of her, take TIME for her....even if one of those isn't her dad.

Now, nosonew...I didn't know you were joking.  LOLOL.  I'm sorry!!!!

sweetnsad

It's a good thing you explained yourself...I almost flamed you too..LOLOL!!!!  But seriously, I agree with IM and you for the most part here....If the child has a good relationship with SM and you like her as much as you say, relax!!!!  Enjoy...your daughter will pick up on it and relax too.

Take care and good luck...

Indigo Mom

-----It's a good thing you explained yourself...I almost flamed you too..LOLOL!!!! -----

But, but but....I didn't flame her!!!  "flame you too" means you're saying I flamed her first!  I thought I was being nice!  Come on..."IF" I do flame someone, there's no mistakin' it!!!!!

don't make me flame you, sweetnsad....  ;)

sweetnsad

I back down!!!  
:P