Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 26, 2024, 07:04:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

THis is CRAZY CRAP FROM MY ATTORNEY HELP!

Started by wallyworld85, Apr 05, 2004, 10:48:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wallyworld85

I posted this to soc too.  But i need all the help I can get!

Okay,  It appears that my ex's mother called my attorney to talk crap about me and to dispute a recent letter my attorney sent to my ex's attorney stating that I needed to be given a forwarding address and telephone number (My ex moved back to Pensacola from Tallahassee without notifiying me.  My daughter's school actually notified me.  I guess my ex's mother trash talked me to my attorney.

Well guess what?  I get my monthly statment in the mail AND low and behold by attorney charged me for the call!  Okay I did NOT tell him to accept calls from my ex's parents.  I was charge for .40 of an hour which would equal about  50 dollars for that ONE conversation that I did NOT authorize.

I cant fire him court for the final court date (hearing ALL matters) is only a week away in FL

1.  Am I responisble for that charge?

2.  Is there anything I can do to make sure he credits it to my account?

3.  Can he charge my ex's mom as SHE was the one that called him!

takingitallin

when you said you never authorized him to talk to her.  I am really questioning why he would speak to the other side when the other side is represented by an attorney.  Very unethical!

I would not say anything until your hearing - you only have a week.  Don't be hasty and fire him, that would not be smart.  I was once told to not act out of emotion - very good advice IMO.

No, I don't think he could charge your X or your X's mother - as they are not his clients.  Again,  IMO, it was poor judgement on his part to take the phone call.  He should have told her to direct her questions to her daughters attorney. Period.

If you need to pay your bill before the hearing, pay the amount less the $50.  When he questions you at the hearing, verbally state why.  If you can wait to pay your bill until after your hearing, then do so and send a letter with your payment that it was poor judgement on his behalf to take that phone call, it was a conflict of interest and you do not feel that you should have to pay for that conversation. Reiterate to him that it is your wishes as his client to not speak to the 'other side' without consulting you first - especially if he is going to bill you for it.   Again, keep emotion out of it - keep it business.

Good luck at your hearing.

nosonew

I don't know if I would actually state in my letter that it was poor judgement, just that only IF information gained from the conversation HELPED your case, would you feel obligated to pay for a call you did not request nor authorize. However, if he can use any info from that call on your behalf, you should pay him for that time spent.  If not, explain you do not wish for him to talk to the other side in thefuture, and should he do so, he is responsible for those costs.  IF he is a good attorney, I might pay him the 50 bucks just to keep him on my good side, but make sure it doesn't happen again.

gipsy

If you feel your atty is doing his job I would not make an issue of it , I would just , tell Him that they will have to deal through attys , , The really wierd thing My atty told me the other day . I can send sruff to the apposing atty , But He , can't reply directly to me