Separated Parenting Access & Resource Center
crazy gamesriddles and jokesfunny picturesdeath psychic!mad triviafunny & odd!pregnancy testshape testwin custodyrecipes

Author Topic: relocating within the state after divorce  (Read 1122 times)


  • New Arrival
  • *
  • Posts: 22
  • Karma: 0
    • View Profile
relocating within the state after divorce
« on: Sep 16, 2005, 02:29:37 PM »
Maybe someone can help me. I have sole custody of our 4 year old son. My ex-husband has parenting time every other weekend and an overnight every wednesday night. My problem is I wish to move appx. 85 miles away. The every other weekend parenting time is no problem, I would split the driving 50/50, but the Wednesday time would have to stop. Can he stop me from moving? I live in Arizona. Thanks so much!


  • Private Reserve
  • SuperHero
  • ***
  • Posts: 2680
  • Karma: 72
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Sep 16, 2005, 02:51:00 PM »
What does your current order say about moving?  If there is nothing to say address moving or where the child is to be enrolled for school, doctors, etc, then there isn't alot your ex could do (but I'm not a lawyer, so in AZ it may be different).  Regardless, your ex could file a motion to delay your move, to request that the child stay with him (altho with your post stating you have sole custody, I'm assuming there is a reason for that?), to make you pay for all travel, to lower child support, etc.

Couple of devil's advocate questions to ask.....

1.  Why are you moving so far away?
2.  Why are you expecting your ex to pay for your move by providing half of the travel?  


dsm - 34
DH - 38
SD - 16
LO - 9
BB - 2
3 Cheap Entertainment cats - Sam (4 months) Snoop & Dagger - 5 years and counting.....
dsm - 44
DH - 48
SD - 26
LO - 19
BB - 12
1 demon who provides cheap entertainment of the fluffy and furry kind.

My mantra - it's time for me to do for me and mine so we can live in the present and not fret about the past nor worry about the future.  What is, is.


Copyright © SPARC - A Parenting Advocacy Group
Use of this website does not constitute a client/attorney relationship and this site does not provide legal advice.
If you need legal assistance for divorce, child custody, or child support issues, seek advice from a divorce lawyer.