Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 25, 2024, 10:07:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

visitation i'm from out of state

Started by memom, Feb 26, 2007, 05:49:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

memom

i'm the grandmother of a grandchild in TN  my son pays support but is unable to see his child the mother won't let him he has no one in that state and it's so hard from far away what recourse do i have and our son? i know all the rules where i live but they're not the same in TN any suggestions?

Jade

>i'm the grandmother of a grandchild in TN  my son pays
>support but is unable to see his child the mother won't let
>him he has no one in that state and it's so hard from far away
>what recourse do i have and our son? i know all the rules
>where i live but they're not the same in TN any suggestions?

Couple of questions:

1.  Were they married at the time of birth?  If not, has paternity been established by the courts? If it hasn't been, that will need to be done.

2.  Is there a court order that addresses visitation?  If so, the father can file contempt of court charges if the mother isn't following it.  This would be done in the state that the court order is in.

If there is no court order, then he will have to file for visitation.  He should contact an attorney about where to file.  Chances are if the mother and child never lived in the state that the father is living in, he will have to do so in the state that the child lives in.  An attorney would be able to address that better than I can.

memom

thanks  No they were never married.  They said they did a DNA test and he's the father. I question it because the mother wouldn't show it to me when I visited. My son's name is on the birth certificate (big mistake) so I know he's obligated to pay support either way. He's filed for visitation and when mom got the papers she called to scream and call him "such wonderful words of endearment" I believe they have a court date pending. Both parents live in TN.