Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 28, 2024, 03:54:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Going against the court Order

Started by gerogiadad, Jul 19, 2007, 08:51:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gerogiadad

I am new to all this "Custodial Parent" stuff.  I am an Unwed Father that gained primary custody.
Now, however, I have the battle of my life apparently trying to get the NCP to follow the court order.  She lives a few states away and the court order states that she is allowed to have visitation by flying our child to and from visitation.  She has been given a deviation in Child support to provide for this.  She sent me an email that states she will be Driving this 14 hour trip.  I feel that if I allow this, I will be in contempt.  But I also feel that if I deny this visitation based on the court order I can also be held in contempt.  

How can I proceed?  Do I deny, or allow?  Are there any legal actions that can be taken if I deny based on the information?

thanks

Sherry1

exercise visitation?  If the court order is specific that flying is the only way to exercise visitation, then you do not have to send the child for visition.  She would be in violation of the court order if she tries to take the child via car if via flying is specified in the court order.  I think you need to contact your lawyer ASAP and ask him/her.

gerogiadad

the exact wording is

"The Mother shall be permitted to travel with (Child's name) from (home, State) to (NCP's home, state) on a direct flight and return seven (7) days later provided that she give the Father at least thirty (30) days notice of her intention to exercise visitation. He shall not be returned to the home of the Father any later than 7:00 P.M."

I have sent my lawyer an email asking this question.  Just trying to get some more info while waiting on the return conversation.

Sherry1

I would say you would not be in contempt.  Did she give you a 30-day notice?  I would think she would need to to notifiy you 30 days in advance with airline information, if she does not, then you are not in violation of the court order by not sending your child.

gerogiadad

I agreed to the dates for visitation under the knowledge she would be flying.  Then, 2 days before her day to start her visitation, she informs me that she will be driving.  I am thinking the same as you, but you never can tell.  It really is a rock and a hard place for our child.  I don't want him to sit in a car seat for 14 hours.  I also, don't want to keep him away from his mother.  So far she has failed to follow anything of this order without bending it as much as possible.

ocean

Can I ask what the big deal is? Let her take the visitation...She will have more money to spend on child if she does not fly. You will not be in contempt because she is not going to bring it to court. Sometimes we have to pick our battles, and this one I would let go....(as long as you trust that she return child...if this is the case then you need a return ticket)
Good luck!

notnew

How old is the child?

Is the child old enough to fly alone? From your posts, I get the impression that he is not.

Maybe she can't afford to fly?

Unless you are fearful that she will not return the child, I would have to agree with Ocean and let the visitation take place. It's hard to say without details on how messy your custody battle was, if mom is unstable, drug user, etc.

If you have genuine fear for the child's safety, you could deny the time with the child but you risk looking bad in the court's eyes. How long have you had custody? Has child spent time with mom before?

If none of the "if's" apply, I'd let him go with her on the drive. A kid is no fun to drive long distance with. I'd be willing to bet that next summer she has saved up enough for the flight!

JMHO - Not legal advice.

gerogiadad

2 years old so can't fly alone.  I don't worry about her not returning.  She was given $400 a month Deviation from child support to pay for plane tickets.    My case was a complicated one for sure and right now since it has not even been 6 months she is trying to set precedent that she is in control.   I have been the "better person" and not stood up for my own rights for 2 years during this battle in the courts, now I am supposed to sit back and let her run things the way she wants court order be danged just so My child doesn't miss out on seeing his mother.  She isn't making things easy either, waits until 2 days to tell me that what we agreed to isn't going to happen.  I have the conversation recorded where we agree to the date and that it will be a flight.   just to have her tell me yesterday that she never bought a ticket.  In other words a month ago when we planned this she wasn't going to buy a ticket.

I let SO much slide trying to make sure that my child has everything he deserves.  Which battle do I need to fight?

Sherry1

I guess I am a hard a$$ because I would follow the court order.  No airfare, no visit.  

Let us know what your attorney says after you get a hold of him/her.

MixedBag

Yes, you're order is specific based on the words you posted.

HOWEVER, since the child is so young and can't fly on his own (yet), driving makes sense to some folks.

Mom can also use the CS deviation to pay for her transportation expenses to come get the child and drive back and then do it all over again.  

I'm on the side of letting the parenting time happen.  Let her drive it back and forth -- and maybe next time she'll change her mind when she has a hard time putting the child back in the car seat after the first leg of the trip.

Personally, I believe the court was attempting to make "you" cooperate by defining that the child is allowed to fly (not that you're uncooperative, o.k.?)  I've read where many parents come here and don't want to put their child on the plane -- or the receiving NCP is worried that the CP won't put the child on the plane (BTDT as an EX-step-ncp).  Yes, EX#3's EX refused to take the kids to the airport and put them on the plane because the order didn't specifically say she had to.  Yes, she was found in contempt.....and EX#3 lost most of the time with his kids.

Sometimes, every one has to give a little when distance is concerned.  Are there NON-STOP flights to a city close to you?  I'm thinking that unless you're willing to take the child to Atlanta, (and she uses Airtran or Delta) the answer might be no.

Pick and choose your battles.....and IMHO, this ain't one.