Separated Parenting Access & Resource Center
crazy gamesriddles and jokesfunny picturesdeath psychic!mad triviafunny & odd!pregnancy testshape testwin custodyrecipes

Author Topic: How can we get out of this jurisdiction???  (Read 2612 times)


  • Guest
How can we get out of this jurisdiction???
« on: Nov 25, 2003, 11:25:53 AM »
My husband has a 3 year old little girl with an ex-girlfriend who, since she got pregnant, moved about 45 mins away into a different city.  We currently have to handle all the custody and child support issues through this court in Livingston.
My delima is that we are wanting to get our case thrown out of that jurisdiction because the ex-girlfriend's brother-in-law works for the district attorney's office there and the ex-girlfriend's mother also lives with the brother-in-law (married to the ex-girlfriends sister).
We believe she has too much pull in that town and that  our case has not been handled fairly.
Does anyone here know how someone would go about handling a situation like this one?



  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 156
  • Karma: 0
    • View Profile
RE: How can we get out of this jurisdiction???
« Reply #1 on: Nov 25, 2003, 12:54:00 PM »
If either parent is still in that county, you cannot get it moved.  Also, jurisdiction for custody follows the child, so if she is still in that county with the child, then you cannot get it moved.  If neither of you nor the child are in that county, you can file and ask that jurisdiction be moved for custody to the county in which the child lives, and as that child support be moved to your county, but honestly, it's a lot of work for move in the same state, and you'd have to hope the current county will give up jurisdiction.

You may want to talk with an attorney and find out if you can get it moved due to a conflict of interest.


Copyright © SPARC - A Parenting Advocacy Group
Use of this website does not constitute a client/attorney relationship and this site does not provide legal advice.
If you need legal assistance for divorce, child custody, or child support issues, seek advice from a divorce lawyer.