Separated Parenting Access & Resource Center
crazy gamesriddles and jokesfunny picturesdeath psychic!mad triviafunny & odd!pregnancy testshape testwin custodyrecipes

Author Topic: Father's Name  (Read 2019 times)


  • Guest
Father's Name
« on: Mar 07, 2004, 08:31:30 PM »
Can someone tell me the legality of the father's name on a birth certificate?  Does the mother have the right to not put the father's name on the birth certificate?  My son just found out he is the father of his ex-girlfriends baby that is due in 4 months.  He is 28 and more than willing to take responsibility, but he wants the baby to have his name.  So far things are going well between them, but they have not talked about the naming of the baby and he is not sure how to respond if she says no to his request, she has a new boyfriend.   Does my son have any rights?  I have suggested he seek the advice of an attorney, but was just wandering if anyone here had any thoughts to share.


  • Guest
i was in the exact same position
« Reply #1 on: Mar 08, 2004, 06:25:01 PM »
you didn't mention which state you live in... go here:


find your state and post the question there as well. the mother has the right to put whatever name she wants on the birth certificate. the mother has to agree to the name. your son has no rights until he either signs the birth certificate or, if the mother decides not to name him as the father, he files to establish paternity, does a dna test, and has the courts add him as the father.

i filed to esablish paternity on 6-2-03 in ohio, and my name is not yet on my son's birth certificate. when my ex-gf found out i filed, she cut off my visitation and i've spent just over an hour with him in all that time.

in some states, if a man signs the birth certificate and a dna test later proves that he is not the father, the laws as they are written will require him to pay child support anyway, til either the child turns 18, another man adopts him, or the laws are changed. so you gotta find out what the laws are in your state.


  • Guest
RE: Father's Name
« Reply #2 on: Mar 09, 2004, 10:42:49 AM »
Not only does she NOT have to put his last name for the child,, she CAN file a cs case against him without his having any rights. He'll have to have those established in court. Whereas, she has do nothing other than contact the AG office for a cs case.

Tips For Getting Started

How To Hire An Attorney

Hiring An Effective Attorney

Success Factors In Obtaining Custody

One of the first things you'll hear around here is "Document, document, document!". Having good records is *crucial*. Get yourself either the Parenting Time Tracker (PTT) at: http://www.deltabravo.net/custody/tracker.htm


Copyright © SPARC - A Parenting Advocacy Group
Use of this website does not constitute a client/attorney relationship and this site does not provide legal advice.
If you need legal assistance for divorce, child custody, or child support issues, seek advice from a divorce lawyer.