Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 26, 2024, 12:34:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Parental rights....

Started by nal_dragon, Sep 26, 2007, 04:27:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nal_dragon

I have a 22 month old son who father is ....well to put it nicely...useless. He doesn't pay child support even though he's ordered too. He doesn't want to work and when he does he quits within 5 months usually. He rarely comes to visit unless there is something he wants. I was wondering if there is anyway to get him to relinquish his rights as a parent. I don't want to seem harsh, but we are better off without him. I want my son to be happy and he doesn't even know who his father is. I keep records of how long his father visits and on what day. He's spent less then 3 days time with my son since a week after he was born. I know i could take care of my son even without the child support because I have been doing this long without his help. I have no clue what my chances would be or where to start. I can't afford an atttorney yet so I figured I would try here.

Kitty C.

It's an extreme long shot, and it can differ from state to state, but about the ONLY way you can get that accomplished is by having someone who is willing to adopt (new husband for you, somone willing to take over ALL parental and financial responsibility) AND the bio-dad is willing to give up his rights in court.  Otherwise the state will say no way.  Do you have the committed relationship, the cooperation of the father, and the financial wherewithall to take it to court and make that happen?
Handle every stressful situation like a dog........if you can't play with it or eat it, pee on it and walk away.......

ocean

Kitty is right. The state will not let you do it unless there is someone else to take his parental spot. If you go on public assistance at all, the state will go after the father or whoever signs adoption papers.

Go to your local child support office and have them take over the case. They will try and get the money from the father and have the power to take away his license and tax returns. Hopefully he will come around. See if he will take a parenting class?

Good luck!