Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 26, 2024, 02:52:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

When to file Injured Spouse Allocation form

Started by CDAN99, Apr 05, 2008, 04:03:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CDAN99

Long story short:

I remarried and unfairly owe back CS. Anyway, I figured my taxes if filed separately and I would owe taxes to the feds. At the same time, my wife would get a refund. But if we file jointly, we end up getting a bigger refund and I would not owe taxes at the same time. Problem is that the entire refund MAY get intercepted. Does my new wife file an Injured Spouse Allocation form now or later? I feel that if we do file the form now, it may tip of the feds and raise flags so that there will be an intercept. Or do we file an Injured Spouse Allocation form if the entire refund gets unfairly intercepted? Is it too late to file once the refund is intercepted? Also, my new wife is counting on getting her tax rebate from the feds. How will this be affected? Any advice is sincerely appreciated. Thanks.

lucky

If I remember correctly from when we had to do that, the injured spouse claim will only allow you to get back your wife's portion of the refund, they'll still keep what they calculate to be your portion.

Hopefully someone with a tax background will weigh in and give you more firm answers.

[em]Lucky

Lead your life so you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip.
- Will Rogers[em]
Lucky

Lead your life so you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip. ~  Will Rogers