Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 28, 2024, 08:09:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

child safety in auto

Started by Sunshine, Jan 24, 2005, 06:59:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sunshine

Is it ok that my Ex drives our 4yr. old in his junky work truck without carseat/booster?  I was the opinion it is law to have this safety meassurement until child reaches certain age/height/weight - am I wrong? Thanks.

joni

I think most states have guidelines.  What state are you in?

Sunshine

I am in Canada and the government regulations say:
Use a booster seat from 18 kg (40 lb.), generally from about age 4 1/2 to 8 years.  Children are ready to use a booster seat when they are over the maximum weight or height for their child seat — but no sooner than this!  

Use the vehicle rear seat and seat belt (ideally with a shoulder belt) from the time your child has outgrown the booster seat, from about age 8.

So can I understand that it is against the law and unresponsible by the driver to have the child in the front seat without a booster seat (this truck does not have rear seats) ?

Sunshine

bad news - all provinces of Canada, except the province of Quebec, do not require booster seats by law for children age 4-8.

That means my Ex can put our child at safety risk and I  have to accept this? I have sole custody and guardianship. Can't I forbid him to do so?

janM

Where in Canada? I was born and raised in Ontario but have lived in Ohio for 10 years.

Call your local licensing bureau and ask what the law is.

Here in the states I'm not sure if it's law, or just a recommendation.

I always use a booster for my grandson who is 6 because the seatbelt goes across his shoulder nicely and his legs hang down properly. Plus he can see out better. They say they can slip down from under the belt in a collision without one.

I know that they recommend using one till age 7 or so. Last time he was at the doctor they asked if he used a booster.

Sunshine

We are in BC. Unfortunately there is currently no law for the so called 'forgotten children' age 4-8 that requires to bukkle them up in a booster. It is only a recommendation.
It probably needs some more children to die first until they change/make the law.

jilly

I think most U.S. States have child safety laws in which children of a certain age/weight are required to be in a child safety seat.  Here in NC where I live they recently changed that law to read that children 8 years of age AND 80 lbs. have to be in a booster seat.  Doesn't matter if they're 7 and 80 lbs...they have to also be 8 years old.

joni

I'm stunned that Canada wouldn't have a law to require a booster.

Have you spoken with your Ex about it?  Have you told him how much it means to you?

Sure you could take him to court and get the court order but would he follow it?  Since it's not law, he wouldn't get a driving ticket.

Is he at least buckling the child up?

Sunshine

We are in BC. Unfortunately there is currently no law for the so called 'forgotten children' age 4-8 that requires to bukkle them up in a booster. It is only a recommendation.
It probably needs some more children to die first until they change/make the law.

jilly

I think most U.S. States have child safety laws in which children of a certain age/weight are required to be in a child safety seat.  Here in NC where I live they recently changed that law to read that children 8 years of age AND 80 lbs. have to be in a booster seat.  Doesn't matter if they're 7 and 80 lbs...they have to also be 8 years old.