Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 26, 2024, 10:12:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

DNA testing

Started by justwantstobeadad, Apr 29, 2005, 06:44:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

justwantstobeadad

OK....I have a friend who asked me if their is a way to get a DNA test on a child that he believes is his?

Please be aware the mother has died and the "father" now would not allow it when asked! also child is in diffrent state FL and he is in PA

any suggestions....

wendl

How old is the child??? Does he get to see his child. Did your friend request DNA testing thru the courts??

Peanutsdad knows some things about DNA stuff. Hopefully he will post a response.

**These are my opinions, they are not legal advice**

justwantstobeadad

he only has knows where the child and grandparents live. He and another guy was involved with this woman before she died the other guy married her before her passing. He knows if he tries to get dna test the "father " wont let him. One thing that I should mention is this child has the same birh defect as my friend , he was born with two thumbs and big toes and looks like a mini him. I think he knows it is his child however he has started his own family in a diffrent state now and is interested how hard it would be to find out or if he has any rights.

Kitty C.

The pertinent medical history owuld be enough, I believe, to petition the court requesting DNA testing.  Talk to an atty. a dn see what you must file.  If the 'father' refuses the testing, even after being ordered by the court to do so, he can be held in contempt.
Handle every stressful situation like a dog........if you can't play with it or eat it, pee on it and walk away.......

Mediator

Your friend should be aware that although he could prevail in getting a DNA test done and even if he is the bio dad he may not have any parental rights.  Courts have been known to limit a bio parent's rights depending on the prior relationship wtih child, the age of child and the relationship the dad by default has had with child.  The courts determine what is the best interest of the child.