Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 26, 2024, 01:00:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

emancipation

Started by tennessee, May 22, 2005, 09:09:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tennessee

My son's girlfriend is trying to find out how to get emancipated. Where to start?????

joni

Googling is a wonderful thing

http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:okvaWQ9yfD4J:www.attorneygeneral.state.tn.us/op/2002/OP/OP100.pdf+emancipation+of+minor+tennessee&hl=en&start=6

http://www.prairielaw.com/articles/article.asp?channelId=17&articleId=1295

tennessee

thank you for your response. My son's girlfriend had DCS come by and look at her living conditions and the worker said that they should work together to clean it up. It is horrible. She has a job and has had it for almost 2 years now. Since school is out she will be working 40 hours a week and in August she will be 17. Her father leaves her at home with nothing to eat and she is now not aloud to see or talk to my son. The parents have threatened to take us to court because they had sex. Is that possible?? And still no luck on her getting emancipated. A lawyer told her that it was a job for DCS. She has taken pictures. What to do. I have taken care of her more than her parents. Help.

4honor

She can "hire" a lawyer herself to  file for emancipation and use the DCS reports to help the case. If her wages are equal to 1.25% of poverty level (around $850-900 a month) they may consider her to be caring for herself. If she has an aunt or uncle willing to let her live with them, she can remove herself from her parents' household without starting WWIII. She should also look into counseling to help her through the next 18 months - because chances are she will turn 18 prior to getting a contested emancipation completed through the courts.

As for taking you to court... not sure of TN's laws. Is your son over 18? then tell him his GF is off limits unless he wants to go to jail for statutory rape... her parents CAN push that. (I saw in the news where a 18 yo guy was arrested for sex with his WIFE who was to turn 18 in 5 months.)

If under 18, then he and you could conceiveably be sued for any STD she comes up with -- even if she is the one to give it to him. So he needs to be EXTREMELY cautious about any sexual contact with her. Defending any suit they may file will damage him and his future... regardless of outcome.
A true soldier fights, not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves whats behind him...dear parents, please remember not to continue to fight because you hate your ex, but because you love your children.