Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 19, 2024, 04:40:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Drug test my teen?

Started by pugert, Oct 05, 2005, 04:11:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pugert

I've gathered many useful ideas about handling problems by reading other peoples posts.  I'm posting for the first time because I hadn't seen an issue I'm struggling with discussed.

I don't know what's up lately, but my teenager has changed drastically during the last few months... no motivation or interest in things that used to be really important.  It seems like all she wants to do is hang out in her bedroom?  She's only 13, and I'm hoping it's just a phase.  Some of my friends suggest we drug test her. Anyone got experience or advice regarding drug testing teenagers?

Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts!

sherrie ohio

There could be other reasons for the mood change.Is she getting teased at school?Beleive me kids can be very nasty at that age to.If it's realy bad it can effect her mood at home.I dealt with that around her age.Or maybe there's a boy in the picture.My advice is to talk to her,ask questions and hear what she has to say before you do the demage to your relationship with her,by haveing her take a test.If its depression the thought that you dont trust her may make it worse.These are just my thoughts.Im not there 24/7 with her like you.And only you her parents know her best. Good luck!

wendl

has she started puberty yet???

My son just turned 13 and he is in his room alot too, but I have a feeling I know why, partly due to hitting puberty.  

**These are my opinions, they are not legal advice**

lancecath

First, do your homework before you talk to your kid.

I found some useful ideas and info (particularly in the FAQ section of a testing related site) at TestMyTeen.com.  It gave some ideas on how to talk to your kid about the idea of testing and alot of other info you might find helpful.

Best wishes and good luck!

dontunderstand

I agree with the above posts.  I work with teens and accusing her will only make her more angry and withdrawn.  I would also have her hormones checked.  She is hitting puberty and many teens don't know how to handle it and are embaressed, but there maybe other medical reasons...hormones, depression, etc...talk to her and let her know it is okay to talk to you about ANYTHING...good luck!

pugert

Thanks to all who've offered advice... I figure I owe it to you to let you know what's happened.

As some of you suggested, I talked with my child and told her I was concerned and had noticed differences in the way she was behaving.  I asked if drugs were an issue and she laughed it off like I was crazy for suggesting it and said there was no way she would touch the stuff.  The advice on the TestMyTeen.com site that someone suggested earlier was right on the money about  how to bring up the topic of testing and I followed my gut and tested her.

Yup, she was using drugs.  I don't know what hurts more... that she was doing them or that she lied to my face about it and tried to make me feel guilty when I asked her about it..  It's a toss up.

hagatha

So now you know the answer to the drug question. What do you intend to do with that information. See, you also need to find the reason she began to use drugs. Until you solve THAT problem, nothing will change. She wiill just get better at lying and hiding.

The Witch

Remember . . . KARMA is a Wonderful Thing!!!!!

MARCOS

If you are a good Police Officer and generally respectful to the public, this isn't about you. On the other hand, if the shoe fits, wear it.
Be Informed about Police in Our Schools at Floresville I.S.D.
Did You Know? (Floresville ISD, 908 10th Street, Floresville, TX 78114,  830-393-5300.)

At F.I.S.D. Students have no claim to the right not to incriminate themselves. They will be punished to the fullest extent of Texas Law and Federal Law.
       (Ref. Pg. 3 of the Floresville Independent School District Student Code of Conduct and 2005-2006 Edition)

"Student, Guajardo's role as an informant began more than a year before his death". (14 yrs. Old) (Ref. Wilson County News Bill O'Connell 23.FEB.05 FLORESVILLE, René Peña, district attorney for the 81st Judicial District. Ramirez sentenced to 28 years)  

" students role as an informant within the F.I.S.D. caused and preceded his violent death". (Ref. Wilson County News Bill O'Connell 23.FEB.05 FLORESVILLE, Carrie Moy assistant district attorney for the 81st Judicial District  Ramirez sentenced to 28 years)  

"He failed" and then he was "shot dead". "What about Cpl. Ullevig?" She was rewarded (Ref. Wilson County News Bill O'Connell 23.FEB.05 FLORESVILLE, Carrie Moy assistant district attorney for the 81st Judicial District, Ramirez sentenced to 28 years)  

I use students as Confidential informants for tip offs about crimes, and I suffer from a lack of record keeping, and I keep school administrators out of the loop". (Ref. Wilson County News Bill O'Connell 23.FEB.05 FLORESVILLE, Floresville police Cpl. Brenda Ullevig  during testimony. Ramirez sentenced to 28 years)  

"I don't have to tell them [ F.I.S.D. administrators] who gave me information". (Ref. Wilson County News Bill O'Connell 23.FEB.05 FLORESVILLE, Floresville police Cpl. Brenda Ullevig during testimony. Ramirez sentenced to 28 years)  

Guajardo decided he wanted his life to take a new direction, I manipulated, He failed and was "shot dead". (Ref. Wilson County News Bill O'Connell 23.FEB.05 FLORESVILLE, Floresville police Cpl. Brenda Ullevig  during testimony.  Ramirez sentenced to 28 years)  

After blatantly placing a child in mortal danger the School district rewards Cpl. Ullevig with a job. (Ref Wilson County News, Curtis E. Burton 02.NOV.05, FISD Employs New Assistant Officer)  And the school board is fully aware of her past questionable conduct that they have had to defend in State and Federal Court?

"Officer Ullevig will be a welcomed addition to the school district," said Bud Box, administrator of the Alternative Center Program (Ref Wilson County News, Curtis E. Burton 02.NOV.05, FISD Employs New Assistant Officer)  Are we really so Lucky to have her?
Their jurisdiction will span the entire district, which is approximately (285) square miles in land area. (15x15 Miles) (Ref. Wilson County News, FISD creates new police department, Curtis E. Burton 26.OCT.05 )  Past history and current policy dictates that we as parents should be afraid? If Brenda Ullevig fails another child the child could be "shot dead"? Is it really worth the risk? And lets not forget "No Fifth and Fourteenth Amendment" protections. "I don't have to tell them [ F.I.S.D. administrators] who gave me information". Floresville police Cpl. Brenda Ullevig  during testimony.  (Floresville ISD, 908 10th Street, Floresville, TX 78114,  830-393-5300.)

You think You have problems. Its nationwide and horrific and unblievable at times.