Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 26, 2024, 03:43:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

What do I do??

Started by CrystalT4, Feb 07, 2007, 05:40:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sherry1

I advise you you to go to this site and start reading through their pages...

http://www.conductdisorders.com

As you are getting him diagnosed you can start educating yourself on the behavior and psychological disorders that could be afflicting him.  The good thing is that you are getting him help while he is very young.  My YSS was in serious trouble by the time he was 4 years old but his mother said there wasn't anything wrong with him.  She didn't get help until the school system said they would not educate him unless he and everyone in the family had mandatory counseling and probably medicating YSS.  He was diagnosed at 7 with Conduct Disorder which is extremely rare to diagnose a child with this serious behavior disorder at such a young age.  A year later a second psychologist knocked it from Conduct Disorder to Oppositional Defiant Disorder, with a third psychologist going back to Conduct Disorder.  He was also codiagnosed with severe ADHD.  He was medicated for ADHD & put on mood stabilizers.  He set stuff on fire, was cruel to animals, verbally and physically abusive towards kids, adults, he stole, he lied, he committed theft at any and every opportunity he could including stealing from us, his grandparents, etc.

He committed juvenile felony at 12 (damaging property, restitution was $7,000), broke probation at 14 by being caught smoking & then committed juvenile felony again at 15 (drug offense).  He went to juvie for a couple of weeks after the second felony.

Through some divine intervention and I really don't know what... he changed.  He just changed.  He decided last summer his life was crap.  He was 15 1/2.  

CrystalT4

Yea, see that is the behavior I am afraid of..I have a brother that is in prison and was in juvenille detention most of his juvenille life...He was put on house arrest and everything else..He also had a hard life...and my sons BF is bipolar (along with his whole mothers side of the family)...His BF was very abusive and controlling when he was not on mood stabilizers..I forced him to take the St Johns Wart Mood Enhancer and he acted like a normal functioning person..But he would start to feel better and quit and go right back to the abusive behavior(which is why he has no legal rights to my son, my husband adopted him legally over a year ago)  
But thank you for the link I will start reading up on it tonight...

Sherry1

already suspect a problem so you can tackle it with everything you got.

You will probably have years of struggle with him, but please do not ever give up.  My 16yo SS who lives with us now is a gem and a wonderful teenager, he turned himself around.  There is always hope!