Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 26, 2024, 01:32:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Child on probation

Started by charm910, Nov 23, 2003, 06:17:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charm910

Soc,
Here's a new one I've never seen before.

How do states deal with out of state visitation issues when the child is on probation and not supposed to leave the state?

Do they just forfeit the parents rights to see their child or do you think special arrangements could be made?

The child live in North Carolina and we live in Maryland.

There are no formal visitation arrangements, no court order.

Thanks

socrateaser

>Soc,
>Here's a new one I've never seen before.
>
>How do states deal with out of state visitation issues when
>the child is on probation and not supposed to leave the state?
>
>
>Do they just forfeit the parents rights to see their child or
>do you think special arrangements could be made?
>
>The child live in North Carolina and we live in Maryland.
>
>There are no formal visitation arrangements, no court order.
>
>Thanks

Since there are no custody or visitation orders in effect, the criminal/juvinille court order controls. You would need to file a petition for custody/visitation, first, and, as a court order exists that already restricts the child's movement, your petition would be subject to that existing order.

In short, you're pretty much screwed, unless you visit the child within his/her home state.

smtotwo

What we had to do was, as I am cp, was go to probation officer, you could do this by phone, and request a travel permit.  You will be required to tell them where the child will be, with who he'll be staying and the exact dates that the child will be leaving and returning to the state.  I did this for my ex due tohis being out of state, however if your ex isn't so cooperative maybe you could speak to the probation officer on your own. It is up to the probation officer whether or not to issue a travel permit.  Good Luck.  Sorry I didn't see this sooner, i've been working 2 jobs and don't get here as often as I'd like.