Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 26, 2024, 01:59:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

info. on evaluators & scheduling trial date concerns...

Started by too_short, May 23, 2004, 06:56:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

too_short

Dear Soc.,

State in question: PA.
County:  Montgomery.

Two questions:

1) How can I look up past recommendations of evaulators in my county.  I'd like to get an indication on how strongly potential evaluators feel about issues that will arise in my case.

2) In a few weeks I am to attend a short list for my petition to change custody. I understand this mainly deals with scheduling issues -- but I am not clear of scheduling what? Since an evaluation has not been ordered yet (but I'm certain it will), and since from what I understand there is some variability on the time it takes to complete an evaluation, I don't see how a trial date can be set...

Any clarification on these two issues will be most appreciated!!!

socrateaser

>1) How can I look up past recommendations of evaulators in my
>county.  I'd like to get an indication on how strongly
>potential evaluators feel about issues that will arise in my
>case.

Courts usually have a list of approved evaluators. Your court should have a family facilitator's office, or perhaps the state supreme court administrator will have a list.

>
>2) In a few weeks I am to attend a short list for my petition
>to change custody. I understand this mainly deals with
>scheduling issues -- but I am not clear of scheduling what?
>Since an evaluation has not been ordered yet (but I'm certain
>it will), and since from what I understand there is some
>variability on the time it takes to complete an evaluation, I
>don't see how a trial date can be set...

If you are referring to a "status conference," this is where the judge listens to both sides briefly outline their respective cases, and the judge tries to push a settlement, orders evaluators, mediation, etc.

too_short

Thanks for your earlier response, but once I have a list of possible evaluators, I'd need some help in choosing an evaluator.

One of the issues I'm concerned about is divorce poisoning on the part of mom (CP).  From my readings, evaluators don't like it and some feel more strongly about it than others.  So I want to select an evaluator who feels strongly about this.  

1)  It would be a great help if I could get hold of some of their past evaluations so that I can have an idea of what each feels is important AND how strongly they feel about, etc..  I don't know if getting their past evaluations is possible; how should I proceed in getting an idea of their views.

Thanks again!

socrateaser

>1)  It would be a great help if I could get hold of some of
>their past evaluations so that I can have an idea of what each
>feels is important AND how strongly they feel about, etc..  I
>don't know if getting their past evaluations is possible; how
>should I proceed in getting an idea of their views.

No evaluator will give you any formal position other than that he/she attempts to ascertain the "child's best interests." To do otherwise would be to destroyany credibility of their unbiased opinion.

The only people who would have opinions on this would be attorneys who have used the evaluators in the past. You could also read any evaluations that were placed on the public record in prior custody disputes. However, the research necessary to find these reports would be exhaustively time consuming -- you would have to maunally search every family law case in the county where your judge sits.

You could, if you had time, go to the courthouse and sit in on cases heard by your judge. Eventually, you would experience some evaluators being examined on the stand, and you'd get to see how the judge considered the evaluator.

Frankly, what you're attempting to do is material for a doctoral thesis on custody evaluation -- pretty heady stuff. There may be some past publications of this type with professional psychological or sociological organizations or universities.

You have your work cut out for you...good luck.