Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 26, 2024, 01:20:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Support and arrears question

Started by rm1759, Aug 20, 2004, 06:14:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rm1759

I have a child support order entered last september.  The order also contained significant arrears.  There was no prior order.  Since the order has been entered (october, 2003), all payments have been made, including $200 a month to go towards the arrear balance.  The order was agreed upon in mediation.  Also, they did not take my tax return for 2003.

I live in florida

1) Can the CP garnish my income tax return for this coming year to apply to the arrear's balance?

2) if she does, can I find out ahead of time?

3) Is this reported as a judgement on my credit report?

4) Does this have any other negative affect on my credit report?

Thanks alot, Soc.

Kitty C.

You can contact the IRS and ask them if a 'offset' has been assigned to your return.  Just keep weeding thru the maze of phone transfers until you reach a human, or call your local IRS office.  They will tell you if any offest has been assigned.

If you're paying thru the state, they probably have already contacted the IRS to confiscate any return for arrears.  But it can take months for that to show up.  Which is why you might want to keep checking every few months or so.
Handle every stressful situation like a dog........if you can't play with it or eat it, pee on it and walk away.......

socrateaser

>1) Can the CP garnish my income tax return for this coming
>year to apply to the arrear's balance?

Yes.

>
>2) if she does, can I find out ahead of time?

I don't know, but it's irrelevant. If you want to avoid the issue, figure out how much taxes you will owe at year end, and then give your employer a new W-4 decreasing your withholding exemptions so that at year end you owe a small amount in taxes. Then there's no refund to intercept.
>
>3) Is this reported as a judgement on my credit report?

No.

>
>4) Does this have any other negative affect on my credit
>report?

No.