Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 26, 2024, 10:15:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

child care comunication issue

Started by Dr.Stepmom, Jan 28, 2005, 05:14:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr.Stepmom

SD is 5 yo and currently enrolled in preschool.  School is a significant distance from us. Court order states joint legal/physical custody.

We last spoke to her teacher last week and were told SD is doing well, many of past behavior problems are much improved, though she has been a little more defiant lately.

This week when DH called, administrator answered and said he was glad DH called because he had issues to discuss with us and wanted an in person conference ASAP.  He insisted that I (SM) be present also and refused to discuss any concerns by phone.

DH called back later and stated that because of the significant drive time and the fact that I am unable to get off work long enough to drive out he would like to address the concerns by phone.  The administrator refused. We have since tried to contact the teacher and been told by the administartor that he will be the only one to communicate with us now and will only do so in person.

Also, we are paying a premium for this school. At least 30% more than regular daycare. We pay them our half of tuition directly and have always been on time.  BM and school refuse to provide us with receipts.

1. Can the school refuse to communicate with us and/or put such ridiculous restrictions on our communication?

2. Do we have any recourse if they continue to refuse to communicate (either through the courts or daycare licensing board)?

3. If this continues, do you think the court would feel that this is reasonable grounds to have her school changed?

4. Any ideas how to get receipts if BM refuses to follow the court order and supply them?

socrateaser

>1. Can the school refuse to communicate with us and/or put
>such ridiculous restrictions on our communication?

Private schools can do what they want as long as it's not prohibited in your contract with the school, or unless some statutory or constitutional act prohibits private action.

>
>2. Do we have any recourse if they continue to refuse to
>communicate (either through the courts or daycare licensing
>board)?

I'd have to read your contract. You might be able to sue for breach.

>3. If this continues, do you think the court would feel that
>this is reasonable grounds to have her school changed?

Maybe. Too speculative for comment on the limited facts provided. Specially as I don't know the judge or his/her biases.

>
>4. Any ideas how to get receipts if BM refuses to follow the
>court order and supply them?

Contempt motion.