Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 25, 2024, 07:42:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Have you heard of this?

Started by dontunderstand, Aug 09, 2005, 09:11:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dontunderstand

We are in WA.

Our attorney called today to say that now that our final parenting plan is in place he is going to file the paper work with the court to withdrawl as our attorney.  He went on to state that this is a formality and he is in no way "firing" us as clients and if something else comes up he would represent us.  

He knows that there will be in the NEAR future a contempt that we will need help with and I guess that is what has us so confused...

Is this common practice?  I have never heard of this.

socrateaser

>Is this common practice?  I have never heard of this.

No, it is uncommon practice. In fact, I am unaware of any attorney who routinely files to withdraw from respresentation as attorney of record, after final judgment is entered. Ordinarily, the attorney leaves his/her name as attorney of record, in case there is some reason that the court needs to contact the parties'. When an attorney is "of record," the court clerk (and modernly, the court computer system), maintains the attorney's contact infomation with the case info. And, why wouldn't the attorney want to know what's up, so he/she can bill some more?

Answer: because he/she doesn't want to be involved in the case any longer. So, unless there is some peculiar WA court rule that mandates this action, of which I am unaware (however, it's possible), then your attorney is basically saying, "Bye Bye now."

Don't know why, but that's what's happenin'.