Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 26, 2024, 09:06:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

How to obtain social security number for stepson?

Started by snapplegirl69, Aug 20, 2005, 10:31:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snapplegirl69

State:Massachusetts

The birthmother will not give me nor my husband his sons social security number.I do not have it due to they were never married.I have written several letters to ss primary doctor for medical records to obtain it,but the doctor will not respond.She will not give us any information on him,and child was born out of wedlock,so I still need to find out if fathers name was ever on birth certificate.Were can I start?Thank you

socrateaser

>State:Massachusetts
>
>The birthmother will not give me nor my husband his sons
>social security number.I do not have it due to they were never
>married.I have written several letters to ss primary doctor
>for medical records to obtain it,but the doctor will not
>respond.She will not give us any information on him,and child
>was born out of wedlock,so I still need to find out if fathers
>name was ever on birth certificate.Were can I start?Thank you

Have you obtained a court order adjudging you the father of the child? If not, then you must obtain one in order to gain the right to access to your child's legal records.

snapplegirl69

Yes.She applied for public assistance and the father was proven 99.9% the father.None of the court orders has the social number on it,and she wont give it to us.

socrateaser

>Yes.She applied for public assistance and the father was
>proven 99.9% the father.None of the court orders has the
>social number on it,and she wont give it to us.

Usually, when the State sues to establish paternity and obtain support, there will be no custody orders, unless the father raises the issue. Assuming, then, that you have some custody/parenting rights established by court order, and further assuming that the court hasn't found you to be a danger to the child or mother, then the Social Security Adminstration must give you the child's SS# if you provide them with a copy of your court orders, showing that you have custody rights.

You can also file a motion for contempt on grounds that the mother is frustrating your rights of access to the child's medical, educational, governmental, etc. records.