Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 26, 2024, 07:19:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Deadbeat Dad Contest Bad for Kids

Started by VeronicaGia, Oct 13, 2004, 05:28:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kitty C.

How long have these two been in office, Veronica?  DH and I went to the UP in Feb. of last year, around the Lake Gogebic/Ontonagon area and I was amazed at how economically depressed the area was.  No wonder they cater to the snowmobilers in the winter and the fishermen and campers/vacationers in the summer.....that's the ONLY way they could survive!
Handle every stressful situation like a dog........if you can't play with it or eat it, pee on it and walk away.......

VeronicaGia

They both have two more years, hopefully, they'll both get the boot.  Especially Granholm, she has really upset her own liberal base.

I read in today's USA Today that Cox is withdrawing part of the program due to the outcry from men and Domino's Pizza, but could not find the story in either the Detroit News or the Detroit Free Press, so I cannot confirm if he has withdrawn part of it or what part.  Will keep looking....

VeronicaGia

He was a custodial parent who never received child support from his deadbeat ex-wife.  In the very least, he should know that one doesn't have to be a particular sex to be a deadbeat.  You'd think he'd do the math and find out that deadbeat and dead broke are two different issues, and a huge part of the problem.

MYSONSDAD

Could be using his office to seek revenge...

"Children learn what they live"

kitten

StPaulieGirl

My problem with this is encouraging children to disrespect their parents.  I find this campaign to be malicious in nature, and I question his judgement.  Of course parents are supposed to share in the support of their children.  There are better ways to send the message.

The powers that be don't distinguish between deadbeat and dead broke.  The arrearages and interest charged on them is a sin, nevermind against the law.  It's indentured servitude.  His ex wife should be paying child support since he has custody.  All cases should be taken into account to make sure that the NCP has the means to take care of themselves, though.  What happens when your company moves overseas?  Ugh....

I just think the whole idea is disgusting and harms children.

kitten

msme

When a company leaves the country, not only are the jobs in that company lost but the service companies who provide everything from office supplies to toilet paper will loose. When services are no longer needed, then the service people who provided those services are no longer needed & then the products purchased from the manufactures are no longer needed & then the manufacturer doesn't need to make as many so he doesn't need as many workers & so on & so on, on down the line.

You never get a second chance to make a first impression!

StPaulieGirl

You are so right.  

I remember all the base closures back in the late 80's and early 90's.  It was very bad.

Add this to your comment.  Hiking the minimum wage might seem like a humane gesture, but it also has its own trickle down consequences.  Every time the government does it, either you end up working longer (and I mean lonnnnnnnnger hours) because your employer cannot hire additional workers. That means if you're looking for work, it's going to be more difficult.  Some employers go out of business, others pack up and move to another state.  Sucks to have a government gun pointed at your head when the money just isn't coming in.  

I'm talking about people who do minimum wage work.  I've been told that it effects the higher pay scales as well.

Do these people who owe the government money, get a free hearing to prove that they are unemployed?  Would the government freeze interest on the amounts?  I hardly doubt it....