Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 26, 2024, 03:37:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

stolen property under 100

Started by Bradley, Apr 19, 2006, 09:50:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bradley

My toddler son dropped the voice recorder I had into my daughters backpack in exchange for some candy she had in there. (he liked to use it for a play phone) My ex-wife found this voice recorder with some conversations on it from phone calls between her an my daughter. Now she refuses to give it back. I sent a request for reimbursement to her lawyer or the voice recorder back, no response.

I guess there is nothing I can do because it is under 100 dollars?

In Texas by the way.

socrateaser

>My toddler son dropped the voice recorder I had into my
>daughters backpack in exchange for some candy she had in
>there. (he liked to use it for a play phone) My ex-wife found
>this voice recorder with some conversations on it from phone
>calls between her an my daughter. Now she refuses to give it
>back. I sent a request for reimbursement to her lawyer or the
>voice recorder back, no response.
>
>I guess there is nothing I can do because it is under 100
>dollars?
>
>In Texas by the way.

I wasn't aware that TX law has no provisions for a theft of property less than $100 in fair market value. I'd simply demand that she return the recorder, and that if she doesn't then you will call the police.

Of course, this will almost certainly raise the issue of the contents of the voice recorder and the legality of anything recorded. I think you may have a problem, too, unless the other parent knew she was being recorded.

See http://www.rcfp.org/taping/

Bradley

My toddler son dropped the voice recorder I had into my daughters backpack in exchange for some candy she had in there. (he liked to use it for a play phone) My ex-wife found this voice recorder with some conversations on it from phone calls between her an my daughter. Now she refuses to give it back. I sent a request for reimbursement to her lawyer or the voice recorder back, no response.

I guess there is nothing I can do because it is under 100 dollars?

In Texas by the way.

socrateaser

>My toddler son dropped the voice recorder I had into my
>daughters backpack in exchange for some candy she had in
>there. (he liked to use it for a play phone) My ex-wife found
>this voice recorder with some conversations on it from phone
>calls between her an my daughter. Now she refuses to give it
>back. I sent a request for reimbursement to her lawyer or the
>voice recorder back, no response.
>
>I guess there is nothing I can do because it is under 100
>dollars?
>
>In Texas by the way.

I wasn't aware that TX law has no provisions for a theft of property less than $100 in fair market value. I'd simply demand that she return the recorder, and that if she doesn't then you will call the police.

Of course, this will almost certainly raise the issue of the contents of the voice recorder and the legality of anything recorded. I think you may have a problem, too, unless the other parent knew she was being recorded.

See http://www.rcfp.org/taping/