Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 25, 2024, 09:13:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Spousal Support

Started by redbird, Oct 27, 2004, 07:13:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redbird

I am looking for anyone who can provide some insight, direction, or assistance on spousal support.

I've been married 18 years, my wife filed for divorce (somethign I don't want), we have two children (14 & 12).  She has worked as a cardiovascular intensive care nurse for all of our marriage. However, she has worked part-time during most of those years.  Now that she has decided to see if grass is greener elsewhere, I'm being told (by a mediator and my attorney) I will have to pay spousal support based on the difference between our incomes.  Of course, my income is a full-time income.  She could go out tomorrow and earn double what she's earning today with a simple phone call.  She's in a high demand, short supply industry.  Why would rehabilitatie spousal support be relevant in this situation?  Why would I have to pay based on the difference of our current incomes.  She's been planning this for quite some time and has deliberately stayed a part-time employee in an effort to increase her spousal support.

Is there someone who can help me understand, and respond to  this?