Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 26, 2024, 06:23:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

California income verification

Started by zts_mom, Nov 20, 2006, 05:13:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zts_mom

Dear Socrateaser,

I currently reside in Hawaii. My child was born in Hawaii, a child support order was issued by the state of Hawaii, and I currently send my support checks to the state of Hawaii. I haven't been away from the islands for more than 3 months since my daughter was born.

Biological mother and child moved to California in 2002, and later to New Mexico where they currently reside.

Since 2002, I have recieved letters informing me that my employers were sent requests "to obtain income verification...to establish, modify or enforce a child support obligation" for my child. I have called the California child support agency to inform them that Hawaii has already issued a support order. Their response was that since I am "in the system", I will continue to receive such documents.

I would like to know the following:

1.  Why am I receiving such correspondence from California?

2.  What will California use such income verification for?

3.  Can they release such information to the biological mother?

4.  Do I need to nip this in the bud and call them to inform them, yet again, that Hawaii has already issued a support order?

5.  Why is California involved if the mother lives in New Mexico?

Thank you,
zts_dad

P.S. This may be a double post since I am not sure my message went through the first time.

socrateaser

>I would like to know the following:
>
>1.  Why am I receiving such correspondence from California?

LOL. Because you're "in the system."

>
>2.  What will California use such income verification for?

The CA DCSS (dept. of child support services) has the authority to review your income, and ask a Hawaii court to modify, if the other parent requests a mod from DCSS.

>
>3.  Can they release such information to the biological
>mother?

Yep.

>
>4.  Do I need to nip this in the bud and call them to inform
>them, yet again, that Hawaii has already issued a support
>order?

Nope.

>
>5.  Why is California involved if the mother lives in New
>Mexico?

Oh. Scratch that. If no parent nor the child lives in CA, and no CA court ever issued a prior support order or mod, then CA has no authority.

However, employers are generally cowards about this sort of thing, so they will probably release your info without permission. You could sue your employer in a Hawaii court for the invasion of privacy, and you can sue CA DCSS as well, but you'll have to do it in a CA court, because CA has sovereign immunity for tort suits -- and you'll have to pay your own attorney fees. Which means, you're gonnna probably lose.