Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

May 03, 2024, 06:47:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Is getting custody easier after they turn 14?

Started by JimW, Jun 01, 2005, 07:27:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimW

I need advise. I have been divorced for 12 years. My wife has custody of our 13 & 15 year old sons. She got an At Risk Youth Order for the oldest boy and sent him off to live with his grandmother instead of me because she wanted to remain in control of the child support. The oldest has adjusted to the freedom of living with his grandmother and does not want to reside in mine and my wifes stricter home. My ex-has physicaly and emotionaly abused both boys and now the 13 year old wants to come and live with us. CPS has gotten involved, but told me I couldn't have him because she has custody and gets to decide who he lives with (he is now with the grandfather). He is being denied contact with me. He will be 14 at the end of June. Would it be easier for me to go for custody after he turns 14 or should I file immediatly. He is desperate to be away from his mother's insanity and not living with her family also.

Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Troubledmom

You need to consult with an attorney ASAP. Different states have different rules/laws regarding CPS involvement BUT if they have removed the child from the mother based on abuse or neglect and are denying you any services they are in violation of federal laws.

Check with an attorney who can better discuss the issues involved in your state.

TM

JimW

Thank you for the advise. We are unable to consult with an attorney due to the financial aspect, but have contacted CPS again regarding the son. My husband is filing a CHINS on behalf of his son. I do not understand the right of the abusive parent being able to place the child where they want them. Especially if it's with the grandparents who helped to make them that way in the first place.

C.

wendl

Some attorneys will do the 1st consult for free, call around or try to get referrals.

**These are my opinions, they are not legal advice**