Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

May 13, 2024, 07:31:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Child Support Services

Started by socrateaser, May 04, 2005, 09:34:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jcsct5

For the last 6 years I have had support collected by the Department of Child Support Services (in California). My ex, for the first time in 9 years, brought his support obligation current in February of this year.

He is now demanding that I no longer collect support through DCSS because the liens they have placed against him are causing his fica scores to be low. I am hesitant to agree because of his history in not paying support, quitting jobs to avoid garnishment, and lying about where he was working and how much he is making.  DCSS provides services that help eliminate such dodging activities at no cost to me (other than tax dollars that I would be paying regardless if they collect the support).

I have offered that once he has established a record of keeping support current and keeping me informed of job changes and pay changes then I would consider such a request. My ex has threatened to take me to court to get the support collection removed from DCSS due to my "lack of cooperation" in agreeing to his demands.  He informed me he has already spoken with his attorney who has informed him that getting a judge to order to have child support collection removed from DSCC would be a "piece of cake".

I know that the court can do anything they want but...

1) Don't I have a right to have support collected through DCSS?

2) Can he really get a court order to get me to collect support myself?

Thanks in advance

socrateaser

>1) Don't I have a right to have support collected through
>DCSS?

If you have requested that DCSS provide support enforcement services, then you have a right to have the payments directed to DCSS.

>
>2) Can he really get a court order to get me to collect
>support myself?

Highly unlikely. You would have had to close your case file with DCSS, first.