Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

May 13, 2024, 02:48:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Parental rights?

Started by linesider33, Mar 02, 2006, 09:11:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

linesider33

Hi. i dont know if i have the right message board but am totally lost  and need advice. im a biological father of 2 kids. i have never had any contact with them. my son is 7 and i havent had any contact with him for 5 yrs and my daughter is almost five and ive never even seen her. they do make me pay child support which i dont pay anyways cause im on disability for severe mental illness and cant function without loads of medication. my question is CAN I JUST GIVE UP MY PARENTAL RIGHTS IF BOTH PARENTS ARE AGREEABLE AND I HAVE NO BOND WITH THEM AT ALL AND WILL HAVE NONE EVER? oH IM  WASHINGTON STATE AND MY KIDS ARE IN TENNESSEE.

BelleMere

Usually states like to have someone who is willing to step into that slot, tho. Is there a stepfather who wants to adopt? But, yes, if both parents are willing, you can certainly do that. You (or your ex) will need to hire a lawyer in that jurisdiction to handle the process.

Also, giving up your parental rights does not always end CS obligations and especially arrears. If there is an order for CS that you haven't been paying, that is a debt you still have, parental rights or not.

CustodyIQ

A state is not willing to let a parent get out of financial responsibility to support children UNLESS there is another person willing to take on the role (i.e., legal adoption).

Until the time the mother is married to a man who is willing to adopt the children, you are stuck.

No one can force you to be a parent (apparently), but you will continue to be obligated for child support until the time comes that someone else wants to be the legal father.

Yours is a wholly different situation than parents who are unfit, and the state must take custody of the children.  You simply don't want to be a parent.