Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

May 11, 2024, 03:53:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

psychologial eval.

Started by John-J-Jay, Aug 31, 2007, 09:02:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John-J-Jay

has anyone undergone a psychological eval? if so can you give me a back ground on the proceedures and what takes place during the eval?

what are they looking for in the eval???

Both my ex and I are ordered to do the evaluation. This is only a result of me asking for child support and in turn she's trying to make it into a custody battle now.

Thanks
JJ

mistoffolees

There are all different types. You should be able to get information from your attorney (or perhaps even the evaluator) on what to expect ahead of time.

In my case, I spent the better part of the day with the evaluator, most of it just having discussions and then a couple of hours on standard psych tests. Then my ex did the same. Then we each had to bring our daughter in to meet with him for about an hour or two (on separate days). After a few weeks, he sent a report to the attorneys and the court.

Yours may be just like that or very different. I don't have any way to tell.

John-J-Jay

what is the evaluators goal? Are they trying to see if a person is crazy? or what?

mistoffolees

>what is the evaluators goal? Are they trying to see if a
>person is crazy? or what?

Depends. If the court ordered a psych eval, they should have told why it was being ordered and what it was intended to accomplish.

In my case, we had originally agreed to joint custody, but my ex sued for sole custody after she didn't like the financial arrangements. The court ordered an evaluation to determine which custody arrangements would be best for our daughter.

I don't know for sure, but I would guess that this is the most common reason - to determine which custody arrangement is best for the kids. Another common reason might be to determine if the child is at risk for harm from one or both parents. Check your court order to see what they were thinking.

John-J-Jay

Mist. I think your views are the best on the site. Do you have contact info that you would give out so i could personally contact you???

mistoffolees

Thanks for the comments. Unfortunately, I'd rather not give out my personal information even via PM.

Good luck.