Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

May 13, 2024, 09:08:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Health Insurance NOT being used/FL kidcare....

Started by wallyworld, Jul 30, 2006, 07:51:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wallyworld

I live in IL (divorce originated in IL) Ex and child lives in FL (visitation order/transportation now has FL jurisdiction.  IL retained jurisdiction over childsupport (which has insurance order listed for it to be provided by me).

Ex didn't understand that with insurance there is usually a deductable AND copay-out of pocket expenses.  My insurance WAS 500 ded., but I recently changed it to 100.

Well that wasn't good enough for ex.  She didn't like paying at all.  So I am assuming that she applied for kidcare through florida as she asked me to drop my daughter from my policy so she could get her on kidcare-- I ademently RUFUSE..  She didn't tell them that I have my daughter insured. (I am assuming).  She hasn't used my insurance  in over 2 years; hence, why I believe she is using kidcare.    So I have my daughter on my policy and use it when she is here for the summer.

1.  Can I get in trouble if she did indeed file for benefits and lied about my daughter NOT having benefits provided by me?

2.  CAn she get in trouble.

3.  Should I call kidcare and tell them?  I don't want to get in trouble.

4.  What is the outcome usually for stuff like this?

5.  Does it matter that I am in IL and she is in FL (as is my daughter?)

socrateaser

>1.  Can I get in trouble if she did indeed file for benefits
>and lied about my daughter NOT having benefits provided by
>me?

If she filed for benefits and assigned her right to support, then you could be tagged to pay.

>
>2.  CAn she get in trouble.

Probably.

>
>3.  Should I call kidcare and tell them?  I don't want to get
>in trouble.

I actually have no idea what kidcare is, so I can't comment about what you should do in this area.

>
>4.  What is the outcome usually for stuff like this?

If the gov. provides benefits and has authority to recoup them from a private individual, the gov. usually recoups. But, you know that already.

>5.  Does it matter that I am in IL and she is in FL (as is my
>daughter?)

If the CP assigns her right to support to the state, then FL can reach you via the support order. Otherwise, the collection process would be difficult and probably not worth the state's time to try to get a judgment against you to collect.

wallyworld

Here is the kidcare def taken from FL website, "Florida KidCare is our state's children's health insurance program for uninsured children under age 19. It is made up of four parts: MediKids, Healthy Kids, the Children's Medical Services (CMS) Network for children with special health care needs, and Medicaid for children. When you apply for the insurance, Florida KidCare will check which program your child may be eligible for based on age and family income."  I think she did it when when was single a year ago so would be eligible for FREE medical (like medicaid).

She quit her job when she got pg to move across country with then bf, now husband, who was a pilot.  Then he got fired there so both had NO income except my child support .  I still had coverage though for insurance on our daughter.  I believe my ex got on medicaid RIGHT BEFORE her husband found a new 50000 year job.   I doubt my child support was listed on the application for HER medicaid AND my daughter's kidcare.

Although I am NOT even sure if she did this.  It is hard to find out as I am in IL and she in FL.  

1.  so even if she lied and and said i dont pay cs or have coverage- im sure she didnt list me as her father either-I could be held accountable even though i pay 400 per month for 1 child through income ded. AND have always had medical coverage ( I just can't get why I could be held acct. when I have always followed the order to a "T", it's her lie not mine)?

socrateaser

>Here is the kidcare def taken from FL website, "Florida
>KidCare is our state's children's health insurance program for
>uninsured children under age 19. It is made up of four parts:
>MediKids, Healthy Kids, the Children's Medical Services (CMS)
>Network for children with special health care needs, and
>Medicaid for children. When you apply for the insurance,
>Florida KidCare will check which program your child may be
>eligible for based on age and family income."  I think she did
>it when when was single a year ago so would be eligible for
>FREE medical (like medicaid).
>
>She quit her job when she got pg to move across country with
>then bf, now husband, who was a pilot.  Then he got fired
>there so both had NO income except my child support .  I still
>had coverage though for insurance on our daughter.  I believe
>my ex got on medicaid RIGHT BEFORE her husband found a new
>50000 year job.   I doubt my child support was listed on the
>application for HER medicaid AND my daughter's kidcare.
>
>Although I am NOT even sure if she did this.  It is hard to
>find out as I am in IL and she in FL.  
>
>1.  so even if she lied and and said i dont pay cs or have
>coverage- im sure she didnt list me as her father either-I
>could be held accountable even though i pay 400 per month for
>1 child through income ded. AND have always had medical
>coverage ( I just can't get why I could be held acct. when I
>have always followed the order to a "T", it's her lie not
>mine)?

Parents have a legal duty to support their children. If there is a state statute that permits you to be held accountable, then you can be held accountable. If the CP assigned her rights to support to reimburse the healthcare, then the state would obtain the same right she has to obtain support from you. If your court order for insurance or IL statutes require that the CP use the insurance provided, or be solely responsible (as is the case in CA), then FL would not be able to reach you, because it could only enforce the rights assigned, and by using other insurance, your insurance would no longer be one of those rights available.

I could dream up a scenario that would hold you responsible. Whether it would be real or not is unknown...too many variables for a good analysis in this forum.

If you're concerned, call FL and ask them about the situation without identifying yourself.