Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

May 10, 2024, 11:11:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

my kid wants to live with her stepmom????

Started by silverbullet, Sep 07, 2006, 04:58:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

silverbullet

I am NCP BM.  For several years, after BF moved back in the vicinity of my family, I relocated to be near my child.  BF and current wife are "seperating" and BF is moving out of state to an adjoining state approx 6 hrs away.  He is moving alone.  I've never missed a visitation nor child support payment.

My kid wants to live with stepmom and three half siblings rather than change schools.  I'm 30 miles away in another state.  Kid doesn't want to live with father, nor mother, wants to stay at current residence.  I really want custody of my child, however at this point, I just want a biological parent to parent my child.  Do I have a chance at losing my kiddo to a stepmother because they want to live with their sisters and brother?

I am more than willing to maintain liberal visitation to the siblings and stepmother on weekends and holidays to be shared with BF.  I would never deny my child love from anyone, regardless of my own issues with the current arrangement.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

notnew

That is very unlikely to happen. Has BF already moved? Is BF going to let your child stay with SM?

What does  your custody order say?

Personally, I think that if you wait for him to move and then file for custody (because he has abandoned the child), you may have a better chance of getting full custody. However, that is not from a legal standpoint.

I would highly recommend you post on dear Socrateaser's board (follow the guidelines) and get his take on this. He is an expert in the biz!

What a weird thing to deal with. I hope things work out for the best - you seem like your on the right train of though being open to letting everyone still maintain their relationships. BF sounds like he is making a huge mistake.

Keep us posted!

williaer

I guess I would say- first- how old is she? If she is over a certain age- the court very well may take her opinion into account. Has she always been at this school? I would think if SM has been a primary caregiver and she wants to stay- why are you wanting her to change now? I understand that you want her to live with you and I understand that you are her biological parent- but have you thought about what this might feel like for her- to be taken from the only home she knows and away from her friends? Can you move to that town, so that she doesn't have to change schools. It would take a lot of soul searching- but perhaps you have to put your mother-lion feelings aside and leave her there?