Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

May 03, 2024, 11:44:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Georgia child support arrears

Started by lisab, May 05, 2009, 01:58:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lisab

My exhusband who was the custodial parent lived in Georgia. We had a North Carolina order for me to pay child support. I was paying support and also had a arrears balance. My child came to live with me in Texas April of 2007 and I went to the Georgia child support office to give them a notorized letter from my husband stating that my son would no longer be living with me. They contacted my ex by phone also to verify this and he did. They stop the current CS but said i still had to pay on arears.

Meanwhile they never notified Texas to stop the current CS so they kept garnishing my wages and not applying it to the arrears balance. When Georgia showed a balance of zero i contacted them and asked how they would stop it. They contacted Texas and the next thing i now my balance was back up to around $13,000. They were going by what Texas had.

My son has since turned 18 and the current amount has stopped but they never stopped it when he came to live with me. I am still paying on the arreas balance and would like to get it adjusted. 

Both states tell me that they do not have jurisdication and will not change anything. And tell me that i have to hire a lawyer to collect what they have taken from me and given to my ex-husband. I cannot afford a lawyer. They each keep telling me that the other state has to do an arrears audit and neither one will do it.

The orginal order was from North Carolina, then he moved to Georgia and now resides in Texas. I have lived in Texas.

Can someone please help me with what i am supposed to do.

MixedBag

wow -- a jurisdiction problem again.

I think your main problem is that nothing was ever followed through to a court ORDER.  It was all a handshake.

Dad lives in TX?

I think I'd file a "Motion to have your CS Case Reviewed and Closed, and to have the child emancipated" in Texas.

Then when Texas says "NOT my problem."

I'd take that order to GA and file the same motion.

HOPEFULLY, even if you had arrears, you've kept detailed documentation of what was paid out over the years to back YOU up.

This stinks....and it will take time to clear things up, that's for sure.

Davy

I'm not sure but I believe a TX child is automatically emancipated for purposes of CS at age 18.

I'm not sure because my children never received any support.