Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

May 16, 2024, 05:21:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

sole custody rights

Started by maid marion, Mar 25, 2006, 05:25:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maid marion

I have sole custody of my child. My ex has supervised visits for 2 hours a week. Was wondering what, if any, issues I have to consult with my ex on regarding our child. Also, is my ex entitled to access to our childs medical/school regards? I live in R.I. Any web sites that might help me.

Ref

That is the question. If you have sole legal, you are the only one that has these rights. If it is sole physical and joint legal, ex can have access.

Just remember, just because LEGALLY ex is not entitled to information, doesn't mean that it is in the child's best interest to keep ex in the dark.

Good Luck
Jen

maid marion

Thanks for the info Jen. I have sole legal custody. As far as in the best interest.....my ex attempted to snatch our child and go to Florida. They were pulled over in Jacksonville Florida and our child had to stay in a safe house until I could fly down there and get her. He is facing felony child snatching charges. He is a real abrassive person who lives to fight with anyone about anything and I just figured that the less he is involved with her schooling and medical and religious the less I and anyone else would have to feel his wrath. I just want to do what's right for our child but unfortunately my ex just wants to satisfy his own adgenda and could care less what's best for our child. Thanks again for your info.

Maid Marion

4honor

one specifically for information about your daughter. You email the ex information and respond to questions directly affecting the child and nothing more. That way you have some buffer, the ex has sufficient information (if he uses it) to be as good a parent as he can be, and the child wins.

If you leave him totally in the dark, you will only fuel anger. Behave civilly and expect the same in return. Don't back down, but don't incite. NO button pushing allowed.

As for Sole legal custody, unless the court orders specifically PRECLUDE/EXCLUDE the ex from that information, he may be able to access it all on his own. However, if he has to spend 10 times more time and money to get the same information you could have just shared with him, he is gonna be mad. I would be in the same situation, and I don't have anger issues to begin with.
A true soldier fights, not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves whats behind him...dear parents, please remember not to continue to fight because you hate your ex, but because you love your children.

Genie

you have all decision making rights and do not have to consult X on anything unless it is stated in the divorce.  Also, he does have rights to medical and school records (federal law) unless the divorce or court paperwork states he does not.

Now that being said, unless he is a real uncooperative jerk, it would be nice to consult with him when making major decisions for the child. It will make your relationship better b/c he will feel more involved in child's life.

I forgot about the supervised visitation part. Why is that?  Maybe that makes my above statement incorrect.

maid marion

Sorry it took so long to reply. My X attempted to kidnapp our child and go to Florida. We had a relocation trial and the judge said that he couldn't relocate with her but he left the court house, packed a rental truck and headed out anyways. He was apprehended in Jacksonville Florida and my daughter had to stay in a safe house for almost 2 days until I could fly down and get her. Needless to say, he is very much uncooperative and would like nothing better than to be anal about everything. If given an inch, he'll take a mile as they say. Anyways that's how the supervised visits came to be. The person doing the visits says that if given the chance to take her again....he would. He is still facing a criminal charge of felony child snatching but it won't go to trial until sometime in June. Thanks for your input.
Maid Marion

seansmom

Yes he has the right to see school and medical records.

Sole custody means you alone determine

which school your child will attend
what religion he will follow
and any medical needs

Detter D

seansmom

Unless you can PROVE abuse or neglect, the non-costodial parent is still entitled to a generous amount of visitation, how much depends on the age of the child and distance of your homes ect.

maid marion

2 Hours a week supervised but he cancelled them on her.