Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

May 20, 2024, 03:57:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Can I fire her and not pay her?

Started by thirdexwife, Mar 16, 2004, 09:51:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thirdexwife

I hired my current attorney a year ago, and she has done nothing on my divorce case since then. I have had several office visits with her, but no paperwork has been filed as far as I know, other than the intial response to the papers my husband served me with. and we have never been to court or met with my husband and his attorney, despite my hounding my attorney to get something going.
My question is this: Can I fire her without having to pay her the amount in the contract? I have a signed contract with her. I am in Georgia if that makes a difference.

TIA

socrateaser

You may terminate your contract with your attorney at any time, but must pay reasonble attorney fees  for services rendered on your behalf. Get a breakdown of all of those services rendered to you and if there are any (all) that you find unreasonable, then explain to your attorney why you believe them to be unreasonable. If the attorney agrees, then she will remove them from your bill.

If your contract states that you will pay $X to the attorney, you are entitled to the services reasonably attributed to an attorney in return for your money. The attorney can't force you to pay for services that were not rendered on your behalf.

In order to actually give you a specific avenue of escape, or to tell you exactly how much you owe, I would need to read the entire contract, and know all of the events that have transpired relating to you and your attorney, since you entered into the contract.