Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

May 06, 2024, 02:36:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Health Insurance

Started by chatterbox906, Jan 10, 2006, 10:08:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chatterbox906

Non Custodial parent has child insured through health insurance provided by employer since 2000.  Only out of pocket for health ins. is for co-pays which are 10 and 7 dollars, very reasonable.  Support is current.

Custodial Parent lost job in 2004 and has had said child on medicaid (state is OH) since.  Now child has been dropped from medicaid on 12-31-2005.  I'm not sure why since cp is still unemployed.  

Questions

Will the state want repayment of these services?

If so could they come back on the ncp for repayment?  

Thanks for your time

socrateaser

>Questions
>
>Will the state want repayment of these services?

It could happen. It's possible that you could get your insurer to reimburse the government, but I wouldn't count on it, because the insurer may have a time limit for claim submissions, after which it can contractually avoid reimbursement.

I would tell the other parent that if he/she needs to take the child to the doctor, that he/she should let you know and that you will call and arrange to make payment, and that you'll reimburse for the copay. That would eliminate the incentive to use the government and simultaneously keep you apprised of the cp's use of insurance benefits (and the child's health).

chatterbox906

janM

and my grandson was on Healthy Start (medicaid) a couple of times, once when his dad had him on it, and again when the boy lived with us for 18 months. I was told, when I applied for him (child only, not counting our income), that the parents would not have to pay it back. When my son had him on it, they didn't go after the mom (ncp) for it either.

I believe that if a CP applies for any other benefits, like cash or foodstamps or welfare, they will pursue it with the ncp or ask that you apply for child support.

I wonder if your ex told medicaid about the other insurance.

Your local Family and Job Services office can advise you.

chatterbox906

Thank you for your input, I was kind of worried about this because cp has had another child in 2004 and we're not sure what IS actually going on, she lives 3 hrs away with very little contact.