Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

May 09, 2024, 10:53:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

marijuana use?

Started by laremyj, Jan 05, 2009, 11:43:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

laremyj

hello.

My mother and step-father are getting a divorce. they have 2 daughters together. i am 22 years old and live with them, pay rent and help out a lot around the house.

my mother wants most of the custody, but my so does my stepfather. they both know i smoke marijuana occasionally.

i was wondering if my occasional marijuana use can affect the outcome of the custody? will i be required to take a drug test? can this be used against my mother? can myself, or my car be searched? if yes would you please explain why?

i would like my mother to have custody of my sisters.
thanks.

*iLUVmySD*

I'm not a lawyer, but I would think if you continue to live with your mother, then it could affect the determination of custody and visitation.

MixedBag

IMHO -- yes, it will affect things down the road.  Not only with custody, but with life.

But you say that BOTH smoke -- which means neither one will or might bring it up.

IMHO -- both need to get clean and stay clean (for life).

And the same goes for you......if you live with Mom, and test positive, if I were dad, I'd be using that against mom.

Think about it, and you have your answer.

Waylon

Quote from: laremyj on Jan 05, 2009, 11:43:54 AM
i was wondering if my occasional marijuana use can affect the outcome of the custody? will i be required to take a drug test? can this be used against my mother? can myself, or my car be searched? if yes would you please explain why?

1) Maybe. The court usually won't consider pot smoking a fatal mistake, and they'll often want proof or corroboration of the allegation before they do anything.

2) I'd guess it's unlikely you'd have to take a drug test, but you never know.

3) See #1. It's not usually a deciding factor but it can be.

4) Search you or your car? Possibly, but I'd guess not.
The trouble with reality is that there's no background music.