Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

May 13, 2024, 05:04:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

to MYSONSDAD et all....

Started by bigsigh2004, Dec 20, 2004, 12:26:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigsigh2004

Although I don't post here regularly, I see on here you repeatedly saying you don't see anything (shelters etc) set up for MEN who are victims of abuse. Thought you and others need to be made aware of this organization....

http://batteredmenshelpline.org/

many abuse shelters, although not clearly stated, are equal in help to BOTH genders.

I've contributed to this organization, if you feel men aren't equally helped, maybe you should too to help enhance the awareness.

catherine

Stop Abuse for Everyone

Did a google search for "abuse shelters for men Florida" and found this:

http://safe4all.org/resource-list/index?category=27

There ARE shelters for men.

wendl

You kno what I do not see in regards to shelters........ Many shelters for woman will allow them to have the kids in the shelters with them, however if a man is homeless goes to a shelter and its his weekend to spent time with his children he cannot take them to the mens shelter.

I think all shelters should allow a place for men/woman so they can be with their chidlren.

**These are my opinions, they are not legal advice**

MYSONSDAD

I did look at this site and found it to be a hotline for men. Good start. They are also working on a building in Maine. It does not appear to be open yet. Again, good start.

I am talking about shelters that are now and have been in existence. Every year my employer passes out things from United Way and other organizations that are helping fund these shelters. They look to the community for financial assistance. I searched a four county radius of my home. Not one of these shelters are set up for men.
I am talking about shelters that have a facility, counseling staff and support system.

Glad there are some works in progress. Many more needed. Would be great to see one set up for men in every county.

> I see on here you repeatedly saying you don't see anything (shelters etc) set up for MEN who are victims of abuse. <

Now this threw me off, I beleive I have only mentioned shelters twice.

And an added note, I am a volunteer in my area to help men who are suffering from divorce and losing their children. Keeping in touch with fathers facing the same issues, helping them organize their paperwork and understanding court papers. I do this on my own, many have no idea on how to begin getting their lives back on track.

MYSONSDAD

Found 21 States under the men category, in most of the States there is only one shelter. There were a few that had more then one. California and Florida with several. Fine, if you happen to live there.

I also found it interesting that there were more shelters available for gays and lesbians. Just an observation...

"Children learn what they live"

catherine

I was impressed that there were shelters at all!  I think it's a great start in the right direction.

MYSONSDAD

bigsigh2004

>>Now this threw me off, I beleive I have only mentioned shelters twice.<<

sorry meant that as several references in the same thread.

Just like any NFP organization (as pretty much ANY shelter, regardless how it is for is) they need money to advertise. To be in the yellow pages costs $$. Even to have a website, costs $$.

Yes, this place is in Maine, but the hotline is just like the women's hotline for abuse - you call, they will find you somewhere to turn to in your area.

It has to be based somewhere.

MYSONSDAD

Glad you posted. I am sure many will find it very helpful and I am keeping it in my files. Not only to give financial assistence, but to pass along to someone who needs help.

THX for the good post.

wendl

My husband WILL NOT donate to the united way as they have little to no support for men in their organization, he asked and got shot down. My husband and I agree on basically everything he never tells me what I can and cannot do with ONE exception he will not allow me to donate to the United Way as they do not or rarely help fathers in need, they have a lot of help for single moms, abused mom, elderly, but what about the fahters who are in need NOPE.

**These are my opinions, they are not legal advice**

MYSONSDAD

That is how I orginally found out there are no shelters for men in my area, I called, they laughed, made a few rude comments. Since that time, I have researched. Four counties and nothing available for men.

And I am with your DH. I refuse to donate. Not one organization listed on the employers handout mentioned anything in regard to helping men. And every year I call and ask again.  

wendl

yep sad huh.

My dh is cute, he has a few friends that are thinking of splitting with their current girlfriend/wifes he offered them my assistance with helping htem complete motions etc.

Which I have no problem doing.

I will give a man in need something before I will give a mom as mom can run the welfare office while dad is living in his car.

MYSONSDAD