Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

May 16, 2024, 05:28:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Urgent Help Needed for my stepson

Started by HelpMyStepsonPlease, Jan 03, 2007, 12:26:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HelpMyStepsonPlease

This story is so close to many many of the one's on here. First off we are in TN., and SS is in FL. Mom gave maternal grandparents power of attorney over herself and children as she knew she was going to be in big trouble. DCFS investigated mom after this for abuse charges, of which she was found guilty. Grandparents along with DCFS told court Dad's wherabouts where unknown (flat out lie) meanwhile dad was never notified of dependancy action and son was placed in long-term relative placement.....To move ahead further, when dad did find out by being served with papers for child support he automatically started arranging for an attorney to get custody. However, DCFS had already closed case and when we petitioned to have case reopened it was denied because dad was non-offending parent. At this point judge informed dad to sue grandparents for custody. Of course at this point attorney wanted more money, which we could not afford... Moving further along dad has stayed in constant contact with his son as much as he is allowed to thanks to son not being home or in bed already at 8 p.m.(14 yr old). Now we receive phone call Januaury 1st, notifying us stepson was put in a detention facility, on probation, sniffing aerosol cans, and tested positive for dope. We can not afford another attorney, and are doing this pro se now. Would anyone know can this be classified under an emergency petition for change of custody. Stepson wants to be here with dad, myself, and other siblings. We have witnesses in Florida, that say we have to get him out of this situation before he does something bad and noone can help him then.

Sorry so long I tried to shorten it up as we are more worried about now more then what happened back with the lies in court.

Ref

Follow the guidelines though.

I think you can file for an emergency petition based on changes in circumstances such as 1. mother's loss of custody 2. child in trouble with the law.

I have attached a link to a page I have found very helpful in the Florida courts, although DH was fortunate enough to have a fabulous attorney.

http://www.flcourts.org/gen_public/family/forms_rules/index.shtml

Good Luck - If you have any florida family law help, I might be able to help. I have been dealing with it for 13 years - not an expert, but I might be able to point you to the right direction.

Ref

Jade

>This story is so close to many many of the one's on here.
>First off we are in TN., and SS is in FL. Mom gave maternal
>grandparents power of attorney over herself and children as
>she knew she was going to be in big trouble. DCFS investigated
>mom after this for abuse charges, of which she was found
>guilty. Grandparents along with DCFS told court Dad's
>wherabouts where unknown (flat out lie) meanwhile dad was
>never notified of dependancy action and son was placed in
>long-term relative placement.....To move ahead further, when
>dad did find out by being served with papers for child support
>he automatically started arranging for an attorney to get
>custody. However, DCFS had already closed case and when we
>petitioned to have case reopened it was denied because dad was
>non-offending parent. At this point judge informed dad to sue
>grandparents for custody. Of course at this point attorney
>wanted more money, which we could not afford... Moving further
>along dad has stayed in constant contact with his son as much
>as he is allowed to thanks to son not being home or in bed
>already at 8 p.m.(14 yr old). Now we receive phone call
>Januaury 1st, notifying us stepson was put in a detention
>facility, on probation, sniffing aerosol cans, and tested
>positive for dope. We can not afford another attorney, and are
>doing this pro se now. Would anyone know can this be
>classified under an emergency petition for change of custody.
>Stepson wants to be here with dad, myself, and other siblings.
>We have witnesses in Florida, that say we have to get him out
>of this situation before he does something bad and noone can
>help him then.
>
>
>Sorry so long I tried to shorten it up as we are more worried
>about now more then what happened back with the lies in
>court.

I would contact a lawyer and file for custody.  You really don't want to do this by yourself.  If you mess up, your stepson loses.