Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

May 05, 2024, 11:18:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Just served w/Divorce Papers...what do I do??

Started by New2Divorced123, Aug 08, 2005, 12:10:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

New2Divorced123

Okay, guys.  I really didn't see it coming.  I sincerely Love my wife of 8 years and two children ages 5 and 7.  They are all my Life.  I am 47 and she is 32, she is from South America.  we currently live in Tennessee and they are a 50/50 state.  She started out with a Protective order, with absolutely NO evidence, but just her word (this is so dangerous for men)  the shelter she was at has probably coached her and provided her with a Legal Aid attorney, we had already had one day on court, but they was not ready to hear the child custody issue, so continued.  What are my chances??  My attorney says good, but I remain skeptical and don't have faith in the Justice system, as I have heard too many negative stories.  she has indicated she want child support, which is no problem and I agreed to, she also want alimony, but has NEVER worked in the USA and has not made much of an effort to do so.  She has also filed for Divorce and just received them last week.  The attorney I have is young and I am not sure if he should represent me in the Divorce action too.  All the money in the bank, CD's etc, is mine and I have never "comingled it".  What are my chances of keeping all of it?  The only thing that has been comingled is the house.  Will she get half even though she never did anything to help pay for it?  I think yes, since it is the law.  What about retirement money?  same answer, I suppose.  What about child custody issues?  she just rented a two bedroom apratment and has NOT asked for the house, at this point.  What are my chance of getting at least "joint custody?  I need your advice ASAP!!

T0052SC

One important thing I remember from my attorney is that when people get married it is no longer mine it is ours.  That goes for everything unless you can negociate between something.  Even if you built it it was for both of you in the marriage for the future.  Now that the future has ended the court finds that both parties are entitled to theor fair share.  You maybe will be able to mediate between the things that she wants fully between the things you want fully other wise you each will probably wind up with half of everything.

Kent

Go to the Articles Archive on this website, and start reading EVERY SINGLE ITEM under  "EMERGENCY FIRST AID".

The fact that she never worked is exactly the reason why she would be eligible for alimony.

Kent!

joni

get yourself an atty who's certified in family law.  you can find one here

//www.aaml.org/directory.htm

also, when you respond to the divorce papers, you need to counter file and ask for joint legal and physical custody of your children.  otherwise, your Ex is on the path for sole legal custody and if that happens, you'll be stripped of your parental rights completely.  you won't be able to take your kids to the doctor when they're with you unless you ahve their permission, you'll have trouble traveling with them out of state, it'll be your worse nightmare.